Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
I have a customer who has a 50 pair cable connecting it's main building with a warehouse about a quarter mile away. The cable was put in several years ago and no one bothered to put any fiber in for a data feed. They have been using a wireless bridge, but it is failing, slow, and expensive to replaced. Anyone got any ideas or know of any equipment that could connect a couple of hubs or switches by using standard copper feed lines.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I've always strung fiber for stuff like that. :-) That said, a quick Google search turned up this <a href="https://www.rad.com/Article/0,6583,10937,00.html">company</a> with a wired network bridge that can run up to 10mbps over a distance of 1600ft. Sounds cute and if they are on wireless then 10mbps might not be that big of a difference.

On the flip side of this, if they already have copper run that distance, how much would it be to bundle a six string of multimode fiber for the link? I would guess somewhere in the ballpark of the $10,000 it cost the company I work for now to do it for right at 1000ft. But that was also for 50 pair of copper, 3 punchdowns blocks with lightning protection, and the outdoor rated fiber. If they want speed you can run at 100mbps over the fiber, or maybe even, with the proper ports in the switches, 1GBs. Plenty bandwidth for most companies internal needs :-)

Hope this helps,
Honig

[This message has been edited by Honig (edited April 04, 2003).]

you can deploy a DSL link over that copper. Yes, your own DSL units at each end of the copper pair and achieve 10 or 100mb/s (maybe 100mb not sure) connection. check out adtran or patton electronics in maryland.

let us know how it worked out.

Zane:
Get with me. We also deploy dsl products in hotels and campus enviroments and this would be a similar applications.
dan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jsaad:
you can deploy a DSL link over that copper. Yes, your own DSL units at each end of the copper pair and achieve 10 or 100mb/s (maybe 100mb not sure) connection. check out adtran or patton electronics in maryland.

let us know how it worked out.
</font>

I was wondering if since he has a dry pair running between the two sites if he could run DSL between them. Thanks for the info jsaad. :-)

Honig

You've got a couple of options:

A) You can use DSL over the 50 pair cable. If you remember back when telcos would allow you to get a dead pair of copper for things like security alarms, and you could have it terminate wherever you wanted -- people used to use that all the time with framerelay... so yes, you can find DSL products that'll let you do a point to point applications. Be warned, the speed isn't that high...

B) You can EASILY make that wireless connection work. Their antenna is the key element. A point to point wireless connection requires a pretty finely tuned directional antenna, and I tell you what works perfectly... older mini-dish sattelites. I've used those for up to 5 miles away. You can get 10MBps speed on those as well.

Any of these options isn't going to get you super high speed like fiber would. I think if your customer wants something that's usable speed wise, they need to trench and put in some new cable...

I also agree with the wireless aspect. Many tend to fear wireless, but it's the low end items and the recent trend. We have been utilizing wireless networks for years. Speed is only limited by your equipment and the amount you want to spend. For a 10Mbps link, the cost is actually pretty low and easy to install even for a novice.

[This message has been edited by DARCOMdan (edited April 06, 2003).]

Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
They currently have the wireless setup, but it is getting old and needs replaced. They would rather just do away with it. They would probably be pretty excited if they could get 10 mbps much less 100. Any idea of a rough cost for some of these DSL units?

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
I can't remember who manufactured the point to point units.

I recall reading an article on somewhere like PC World or some other PC magazine in regards to seeing if your telco would still allow dead copper runs -- as people were using that to form internet cooperatives, where one house has a T1, and all of the other houses in the neighborhood connected via that dead copper and shared the access, of course when the telcos figured out that was happening... they did away with it.

Let me do some research using the almighty google, and I'll get back to you.

What's the approximate age on that 50 pair? You're going to want to do some extensive testing with a meter for shorts and what not, and also for any crosstalk -- this stuff is super sensitive to any noise. But... 50 pair underground cable is usually pretty solid -- so you should be in good shape.

Looks like I came through for you!

Here's the equipment I was thinking of.

This is a PDF spec sheet on Paradyne's etherloop series of bridges.

https://www.paradyne.com/pdf_central/etherloop.pdf

That product should do exactly what you need it to, and they're not too pricey.

Another option, that will do nearly the same thing -- for way cheaper, but I can't find any 100% documentation on, is Efficient/Flowpoint's Speedstream 5250 -- here's an ebay search for them, they're about 15 bucks a piece:

https://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=SpeedStream+5250+

They supposedly will auto configure to the highest speed possible considering line conditions. That could be something worth trying if they actually work.

I found a slashdot article that chronicles basically the same problem:

https://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/03/01/30/1739238.shtml?tid=137

I think you'll find a solution within those ideas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,833
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,589 Shoretel
189,475 CTX100 install
187,623 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024