Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Please bear with me on this one; I am far, far from a network guy. :confused:

I have a DSL modem/router provided by Verizon a westell 6000 I think. It has a dynamic ip address. I have two desktops and my laptop. The desktops are plugged into a linksys switch I also have a linksys wireless access point connected to it, which is how I connect my laptop. I recently added a speco IP DVR with a ddns server for my CCTV setup; this is also plugged into the switch. I can reach the dvr from all my pc's without a problem and I can get online with my pc's with no trouble. So far so good.

This is where I go downhill fast

I would like to make the ip address of the DVR static so when it reboots the shortcuts on the pc's are still valid. I would also like to be able to use the ddns feature of the DVR which requires me to open some ports on the router so I can access it remotely via the web.

The pc's will still need to be able to connect to the internet; If possible I would like to keep these a dynamic address but would not mind making them static as well. So I guess what I am asking is how do I configure the router and pc's? Oh ya the PC's are all running win XP and the DVR is Proprietary software but that is the one part of this I can actually configure.

Thanks all

:shrug:

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
set up static Ip's on everything on the LAN ,within the address range of the router .

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
OP Offline
so for example if my routers range is:
192.168.1.50 to

DVR=192.168.1.50
PC1=192.168.1.51
PC2=192.168.1.52
PC3=192.168.1.53

do I need to make any changes on the router itself?

that would work , no need to change any router settings .

you could go into the router and set the range to 150-153 as a added security measure since you do have the wireless access point .

( I have mine set to three address , if I need a extra one I go in and add it then delete it when I'm done )

Skip

The router's range likely refers to the addresses to make available for DHCP lease. If that is the case, I'd set up any static addresses OUTSIDE that range. With a 255.255.255.0 netmask, you can use any address 192.168.1.2-254 for the static ip.

For example, I have a web server at 192.168.1.200 and a printer at 192.168.1.35, with the router handing out addresses in the .100 to .150 range.

It's probably no longer strictly necessary, but in the case of Linksys routers, it used to be that anytime the router was power-cycled, it would happily start handing out IP addresses without checking to see what addresses were already in use on the network. Other consumer-grade routers behaved similarly.

Hopefully, they've all fixed that little bug by now, but you never know...

-Steve
why set static outside the range ?

if you limit DHCP to only the number needed and they are static then the router wont hand anything out becouse nothing will be asking for one

Skip

Most of the dhcp servers in these routers has an ability to relate a static address to a MAC address. Then when the DHCP client on the network requests an address, the server assigns the appropriate address every time.

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer
OP Offline
well I tried to assign the static IP's within the range and the router is still hading out address. So I will try to set them outside the assigned range and see what happens

how is the router "handing out address" ?

if all devices are set with a static Ip then no device will ask for a address .

the router cant "hand out a address " to a device that already has one

Skip

OP Offline
Then I may not have set up the static ip address properly on my pc's. After I reboot the PC, and check my ip address, it is assigned a different address, When I go back to my network settings the info I set up is replaced and "auto detect" is selected again...very very annoying, not sure why it is doing this, I am sure I am doing something wrong, I am just not sure what. Any Ideas???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,700 Shoretel
189,731 CTX100 install
187,909 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 106 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024