web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
rsurin Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a speedstreem 4100 ADSL hooked into a cisco 1548 mico switch 10/100 I can get one computer to work and not the other I have windows XP for both computers I know I need to get the ip address of the switch how do I get it and when I do how do I setup the ip address to the computers I know some what of what is going on. can I get some help on what to do.

Thanks
Bob Surin

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

TDS Offline

You should be able to hook up the blue console cable provided with the router to one of the COM ports on the back of the computer. You can use Hyperterminal, which comes with Windows, to connect to the switch. You can create a new connection in Hypertimal pointing to that COM port (probably COM1). Com port settings should proabably be:

Bits per second: 9600
Data bits: 8
Parity: NONE
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: Hardware

I doubt that there is any configuration on the switch, so when you connect via Hyperterminal or other emulator, you'll probably get a setup dialog.

I'm not sure about the 1548, but most Cisco's I've seen will ask you to give it an IP address in the intial setup, which should be one on the same network as the PCs.

Having said all that, the IP address should only be necessary to manage the switch without using the console cable, instead allowing you to use a web browser or telnet session.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
rsurin Offline OP
OP Offline
How do I find out the ip address of the switch

I doubt the problem is the switch, unless it was previously configured with vlans. If it's running in the default state, every port should be on vlan 1.

How is your speedstream 4100 configured? is it configured as a router running NAT, or is it configured as a bridge, with the IP of the PC assigend by the ISP? Is your ISP provifing you with more than a single IP?

(1) Check to see if DHCP is turned on in speedstream 4100 router. If not, turn on the DHCP function.
(2) Connect to the Cisco Console and ensure that all ports are in the same VLAN.
(3) Ensure that all your computers receives IP address automatically from the router.

To test each equipments, replace Cisco Switch with the small 4 ports hub/switch.

If everything works fine with small hub/switch, it is obvious that the Cisco Switch is having issue.

If the problem persists with the hub, check the router setting - make sure that DHCP is turned on. If DHCP is turned on, check computer ethernet settings.

Do all step 1, 2, & 3 and let me know what happens next.

Cheers!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,290
Posts638,802
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,374 Shoretel
189,059 CTX100 install
187,410 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 137 guests, and 394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024