web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#263363 10/10/06 07:05 AM
I just bought a laptop for my wife. Which of course requires a wireless network. I checked all models of wireless/wired routers and none of them had the built-in VPN endpoint that I require for working at home. I have a perfectly good Linksys wired router that does, and everything's configured and working... not about to change out.

So I just got a Linksys Access Point, and just plugged it into the router. Then used the config utility Linksys provides to change the ip addressing and security details. Laptop immediately sees the new wireless network and prompts me to connect. Pop in the security details there, and all is fine.

Ed -
The XP wireless manager has a list somewhere in it for "preferred networks" and "auto connect to preferred networks". So with two access points, each would have a different SSID, so both could be listed in the preferred networks. I think the connection is only automatic when one network goes completely out of range.

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#263364 10/10/06 02:50 PM
We're using a Linksys WRV200, 4 port wired, wireless, and VPN. Works great for less than $100.

I suggested using only one access point for simplicity, Windows wouldn't ask which one to connect to. :thumb:

Joe
---
No trees were harmed as a result of this posting; however, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.
#263365 11/04/06 10:06 AM
Originally posted by ev607797:
It's funny that this subject is running because I was just getting ready to post something similar. I have a LAN at home that is 95% wired with about 12 devices on it now. We just got a wireless Vodavi IP phone, so I changed the router out to a wired/wireless D-Link in the office on the second floor. Everything works great except there are a few weak signal spots, mainly outside the house.

Since I had a spare wired network drop on the main level, I figured I would just run to Best Buy and grab an off-the shelf wired access point to extend the signal. I had to get Linsys since they didn't have a D-link one. They assured me it would be fine. It looks like it worked, but is it really that simple? The router has three devices connected directly to it, then a tie cable goes to the basement where a 16-port unmanaged switch is installed. All other devices, including the new access point are connected behind this switch.

I haven't been able to test the coverage because it's pouring outside. Is it OK for these things to overlap each other's coverage? Is the signal handed off between them while moving around, like cell phones?
I doubt youll get call handover between the Access Points for your IP Phone in this case.

The High Gain Antenna sounds like a better option.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,731 Shoretel
189,782 CTX100 install
187,935 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 122 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024