web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
One other comment. I'm using Watchguard System manager 8.2. Which does not allow me to add multiple subnets to one ethernet port on the firewall. I could try upgrading the Watchguard System Manager to the latest version which I think is 9.1 now. That updates the firmware on the Firewall and might allow adding multiple external subnets.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Not sure about the Watchguard, but most newer firewalls should support Port Address Translation. If yours does, you could assign different ports for RDP access on each system you wanted to manage. The tell the firewall to forward requests to different servers based on the port number, even though you're connecting to a single external IP address. Same with other services.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
OP Offline
Yes, the Watchguard does Port Address Translation. I don't like having to change the RDP port numbers on the servers. Plus I have 32 public IP Addresses on the /27 subnet that are available to me.

this doesn't sound good using RDP across public web, unless you know the source IP you will always be coming from then you allow only that. Have you looked into a Browser based VPN like SSL Explorer for example. With this you go to a web site using port 443 and once you authenticate to it you can RDP to anything you want on your trusted segment.

Adrian
You have lost me completely.

Why do you have two different ranges of IP addresses? Are these coming from different internet service providers?

OP Offline
It's the same service provider. The number of IP addresses on a /29 subnet is 8. So I can't be allocated anymore IP Addresses on that same network. When I requested more IP Addresses, the provider gave me a range on the /27 subnet which has 32 IP Address. This link explains everything: https://www.akadia.com/services/ip_routing_on_subnets.html

I know what the /29 means. It means your subnet mask equals 11111111111111111111111111111000 binary (29 ones) or FFFFFFF8 hex or 255.255.255.248 in standard ip notation. I just never heard of a situation like this where the internet service provider gives you two different ip address ranges on a single link.

So why don't you just use the /27 subnet which contains 32 ip addresses? Is there never enough?

While you have 8 ip addresses in a /29 subnet, you have only 6 that are assignable to an interface. The first address is the network address and the last address is the broadcast address.

So if you have 3 of those addresses already assigned to routers, you only have 8 minus 3 minus 2 left.

Why do you have three routers connected to one internet connection? Is this just for experimentation? Maybe you could draw us a diagram.

I agree that naked RDP across the public internet is a BAD idea.

I normally use a Unix box as a firewall, and tunnel RDP or VNC via SSH. You need a SSH client on the remote host, and some simple configuration.

You port forward one or more local ports to one or more remote ip:port pairs via the tunnel. You can setup multiple tunnels under a single ssh session, and not have to make any configuration changes within your network.

OP Offline
Yes, naked RDP is not secure. I have a static IP address at home and the firewall was only going to allow that IP address into the the RDP session. I am strictly setting this up to work on the servers remotely. If something was to happen outside of normal business hours and also to perform windows updates. If I was not at home, it would be nice to have a solution where I could access the servers from any computer that had internet access securely. I'm getting some good ideas here. Does anyone have any other options. So far we got RDP over SSH and browser based VPN.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,715 Shoretel
189,755 CTX100 install
187,918 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 114 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024