Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Originally posted by Fletcher:
John, your "RJ45/RJ11 Splitters" would have come in handy for me once or twice where I had no other choice but to split an existing phone or data cable due to damage in a totally inaccessible place to the other (repulling cable was not an option). The product is interesting, though I'd like to see something done with the fourth pair in the splitter (a second telephone line would be my first choice, PoE second). As for using it in new installs or in place of two cables, no way I'd ever consider it. Ditto the RJ45 dual splitter. Any data cable I pull must be able to be certified (whether or not it is), and splitters of any type do not allow for that.

Jack
Jack, thanks for your comments. The fourth pair can definitely be used for second telephone line. PoE may not be possible as PoE uses two pairs to supply inline power. PoE inline power is usually available already on the two data pairs in most of PoE switches that you buy (PoE Standard).

Would you please elaborate in more detail how you certify or qualify the cabling? what kind of testing equipment or tool do you use? Why is that "splitters of any type do not allow for that"

John
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Originally posted by dualcomm:
The fourth pair can definitely be used for second telephone line.
How so? Unless the picture of your splitter is incorrect, only pins 4 and 5 are installed on the telephone side of the splitter.

Would you please elaborate in more detail how you certify or qualify the cabling? what kind of testing equipment or tool do you use? Why is that "splitters of any type do not allow for that"
I certify it by doing permanent link testing, which is usually from workstation to patch panel (jack to jack). I have test adapters that have jacks instead of plugs to test plugs, but nothing to test a splitter. No one (Fluke, Ideal, etc.) makes such a test lead, because splitters are not a standard installation. Channel link testing wouldn't be possible at all. The only way to test a permanent link that has splitters on both ends is to remove the splitters. Sure, that link will more than likely pass a catx certfication, but if I were to test through your "RJ45/RJ11" splitters, the test would fail for numerous reasons: wiremap would be first (4/5 and 7/8), then the failures would pile up from there. I wouldn't even bother certifying a network with splitters, because it would be pointless.

Will your splitters work? Probably. Is it right? About as right as punching down data cable only 1,2,3, and 6 on the jacks and patch panels.

As I wrote before, your splitters would be of some use in a small number of applications, or to postpone an inevitable recabling job. I will say this though: if I ever walk into a phone room and find 50 or 100 splitters hanging mid-air, I'm going to be, to put it mildly
... less than pleased.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Does anyone here possess an accurate means to test and configure an RJ45? My CTX analog loss test set's batteries are dead and I can't justify the cost to replace them. I ask this question since it it getting more and more difficult to locate "thousand cycle" (1004 KHz) test numbers anymore. This is especially true with CLECs. Does anyone really use dial-up services that use an RJ45 jack anymore? I can say with certainty that I have not installed/configured one in at least twenty years.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Originally posted by Fletcher:
The fourth pair can definitely be used for second telephone line.
How so? Unless the picture of your splitter is incorrect, only pins 4 and 5 are installed on the telephone side of the splitter.

I certify it by doing permanent link testing, which is usually from workstation to patch panel (jack to jack). I have test adapters that have jacks instead of plugs to test plugs, but nothing to test a splitter. No one (Fluke, Ideal, etc.) makes such a test lead, because splitters are not a standard installation. Channel link testing wouldn't be possible at all. The only way to test a permanent link that has splitters on both ends is to remove the splitters. Sure, that link will more than likely pass a catx certfication, but if I were to test through your "RJ45/RJ11" splitters, the test would fail for numerous reasons: wiremap would be first (4/5 and 7/8), then the failures would pile up from there. I wouldn't even bother certifying a network with splitters, because it would be pointless.

Will your splitters work? Probably. Is it right? About as right as punching down data cable only 1,2,3, and 6 on the jacks and patch panels.

As I wrote before, your splitters would be of some use in a small number of applications, or to postpone an inevitable recabling job. I will say this though: if I ever walk into a phone room and find 50 or 100 splitters hanging mid-air, I'm going to be, to put it mildly
... less than pleased.

Jack
- "The fourth pair:" I meant " can be", not the actual one shown in the picture that is not implemented with the fourth pair for a second phone line.

- "50 or 100 splitters hanging mid-air:" you wouldn't see any splitters hanging mid-air with the use of a cableshare switch as those splitters are built inside the switch. Also, there is no cable splitting jack to jack (from patch panel to a wall plate of cable drop. So you still can use your Fluke/Ideal tools to test the cable run.

John
OP Offline
Originally posted by EV607797:
Does anyone here possess an accurate means to test and configure an RJ45? My CTX analog loss test set's batteries are dead and I can't justify the cost to replace them. I ask this question since it it getting more and more difficult to locate "thousand cycle" (1004 KHz) test numbers anymore. This is especially true with CLECs. Does anyone really use dial-up services that use an RJ45 jack anymore? I can say with certainty that I have not installed/configured one in at least twenty years.
Ed, how is RJ45 and dial-up service related? Do you mean that a RJ45 jack is used for RJ11 phone plug?

John
John:

HERE is the wiring diagram for an RJ45 jack. As you can see, this is used for a modem connection to the outside network with built-in loop loss programming. This is accomplished via the resistor placed across pins 7 and 8. This loss is measured by dialing into a 1004 cycle tone source to determine the appropriate resistor to install.

By "RJ45", are you referring to a 10/100 Base-T network connection? Those are two different animals for which there is no RJ designation.

The term RJ = Registered Jack. RJs are telephone and data jacks or applications registered with the FCC. Numbers, like RJ-11, RJ45, etc. are widely misused in the telecommunications industry. A much more precise way to identify a jack is to specify the number of positions (width of opening) and number of conductors. Example: "8-position, 8-conductor jack" or "6-position, 4-conductor jack".

HERE IS SOME MORE INFORMATION on this subject for future reference. I hope this clears things up.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Originally posted by EV607797:
John:

HERE is the wiring diagram for an RJ45 jack. As you can see, this is used for a modem connection to the outside network with built-in loop loss programming. This is accomplished via the resistor placed across pins 7 and 8. This loss is measured by dialing into a 1004 cycle tone source to determine the appropriate resistor to install.

By "RJ45", are you referring to a 10/100 Base-T network connection? Those are two different animals for which there is no RJ designation.

The term RJ = Registered Jack. RJs are telephone and data jacks or applications registered with the FCC. Numbers, like RJ-11, RJ45, etc. are widely misused in the telecommunications industry. A much more precise way to identify a jack is to specify the number of positions (width of opening) and number of conductors. Example: "8-position, 8-conductor jack" or "6-position, 4-conductor jack".

HERE IS SOME MORE INFORMATION on this subject for future reference. I hope this clears things up.
Thanks, Ed. That's good to know. I further googled it out that RJ45S is referred to "8P2C + keyed, for one data line with programming resistor", according to wiki

John
Sometimes I would like to take 10 minutes instead 10 second to download a 5GB file, so that I can take a break and get a cup of coffee or something else, which is definitely a much more healthy way to live. :-))[/QB]
Just take an example of how long it takes to move a 10MB file over network. At 10M, it is 10 seconds (estimated with 20% overhead), 1 second at 100M and 0.1 second at 1G. You see, from 10M to 100M, you save 9 seconds, but from 100M to 1G, you save only 0.9 second. Is this saving of 0.9 second the ROI you talked about? [/QB]
WOW that is a quick cup of coffee

[Linked Image from i26.servimg.com]
TouchPoint Networks.

Serving the Northwest Since 1991
NEC Shoretel Zultys T3 Tadiran
4G datafiles... what about the 140G disk to disk nightly backup or pushing the 20G vhd development images out to testing environments... I'll keep my gigabit, thank you.

About me:
8 years of network support
7 years IT field service

Always looking for the next project to be done.
OP Offline
Originally posted by igadget:
... what about the 140G disk to disk nightly backup
Is the "140G disk to disk" server to server or desktop to server?

If it is desktop to server, does your gigabit switch has any 10G uplink ports?

Does the server backup multiple desktops at the same time? or it backups one by one?

Do you remember how many minutes or hours it took to move 140G disk to disk over your gigabit link?

I am just curious to know any answers to the above. Thank you.

John
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,717 Shoretel
189,755 CTX100 install
187,919 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 127 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024