web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
jonmyk Offline OP
OP Offline
I set up a network over a year ago with a custom Win 7 machine as a psuedo data server and 4 other win 7 machines to go with the 3 XP machines. i maaped network drives to the "server" on machines and have no issues connecting to the server win 7 or XP. I just tried to do the same for another customer but even though all win 7 machines can see the 3 XP machines, the XP can't see the Win 7. They are all in the same subnet, workgroup, etc. I looked through the previous customer's config but didn't see any glaring errors on my current set up. I'm sure it's something stupid that I'm overlooking but for the life of me I'm drawing a blank. BTW, all users have an account setup on the "server" matching their login info on the individual machines.

Jon

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt"

Mark Twain
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Not an expensive enough version of 7 or XP? You know, "HOME" vs "OFFICE".

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
jonmyk Offline OP
OP Offline
All are Professional

Jon

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt"

Mark Twain
Check Windows Firewall, it's on by default in 7.

Jeff
Lead Field Engineer, MSCNS
Windows 7 uses a feature called "Homegroup" that basically automatically sets up all sharing between Windows 7 PC's. Does not work on XP machines, and I am guessing that is what is happening. I would make sure your firewall settings are correct, that Network Discovery is enabled on you Win 7 PC's and make sure "Homegroup" is not being used.

You can also make sure they can resolve the netbios names by pinging. If DNS isn't working properly, you can manually add them into C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
(no file extension on this file)

Jeff
Lead Field Engineer, MSCNS
jonmyk Offline OP
OP Offline
I found a permission issue and was able to connect to the server briefly.

I can ping all Win7 machines from the XP machines but the XP will lose connection to the Win7 "server" and it takes a reboot of the server for them to reconnect. I have netwwork sharing turned on and homegroup turned off. I have the private firewall turned off on the Win7 machine and simple network sharing turned off on the XP machines.

I deleted all old network places that pointed to the old XP server that crapped out and I disconnected all the mapped network drives associated with the old XP unit as well and still have the disconnect issues.

Jon

Mark Twain
Moderator-Samsung
Moderator-Samsung
Win 7 supports higher encryption on network shares then win xp does. there is a setting about that in the network and sharing center.
This may be your issue.
Anything in the event logs on the xp or server machines?

jonmyk Offline OP
OP Offline
This is what I found online and even though I was told it wouldn't make a difference...it did and I no longer have any connection issues and was able to back down the permissions for all users.

locate the first key:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache

03. By default this value is probably set to “0” and needs to be changed to “1”
04. Then locate the following key:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Size

05. By default this value is probably also “0” and needs to be changed to “3”

Jon

Mark Twain

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,728 Shoretel
189,770 CTX100 install
187,930 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 60 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024