Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#445863 06/18/07 05:24 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A customer found my company about 2 months after the CG was paid to cable the building. We sold the customer a phone system for the office. I explained I would not terminate cabling ran by the CG (As they claim to offer telephone system services and I wanted to see how they do)

My KSU arrived today so I went to take a look at the finished cabling (I saw it under construction and it wasn't pretty )

Here's the photo's

[Linked Image from aircomcom.com]

No ground wire was pulled in...I always install a grounding bar.

It's not the worst I've seen, but not the best either.

The backboard I saw completed by these guys was mounted above a toilet...

I may of lost the cabling job. However I've gained a new customer. We also sold this customer about $6k worth of audio / video equipment for the office. About $22k of home theater and automation equipment. To top it off I managed to fix network issues in his home the other guys could not.

Needless to say, I think this customer will use my company when his next office opens.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#445864 06/18/07 05:40 PM
What's that split 66 block for?? Looks like a cable from both sides of it plugs into port #1 of that patch panel.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#445865 06/18/07 05:48 PM
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
my guess

blue and green pairs are feeding dial tone for two lines in a 568b cat5e jack (or 8 conductor plug crimped on the other end of the cable )

but why are orange and brown pair punched down doing nothing ?

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
#445866 06/18/07 05:59 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
The 66 block is where dial tone from the Dmarc comes in. I can't think of the actual name of the block, but it is not split. The horizontal pins on each row are bridged.

So both Blue and Orange are feeding 439-XXX0
Brown and Green are feeding 439-XXX1

Unsure as to why it was done like that.

The white cable with the 8p8c connector is feeding to two surface mount blocks for the alarm system. The way to blocks are wired, there is no line seizure for the security and fire systems.

#445867 06/18/07 06:37 PM
RJ-21x would have the Amphenol connected to the clips on the right of a split block. You would use bridging clips down the center. When used as a demarc, telco would feed the left side, customer uses the Amphenol or clips on right.

That sure is a split block, look at the way the clips are turned. Obviously wire wrapped on the back, I have never seen one wired to an Amphenol as you think. I think there are two alarm jacks and they come back on the w/o and w/br. Your CO's are avilable down the left side. Bridging clips haven't been installed below those pairs if there are any more lines.

Pretty damn stupid to use the patch panel that way. The wiring should have been terminated directly on the 66 block instead of that jumper. Sure hope those don't go to a fire panel.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#445868 06/18/07 07:20 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Actually, there is a fire panel.

#445869 06/18/07 07:20 PM
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
My guess - the 25-pair with the Amphenol end comes from the demark. Dial tone is on the Wht/Blu and Orn. Because the GC doesn't know how to punch down a 25-pair, he gets a pre-made cable and plugs it into the RJ-21 block. It's the Verizon flavor, with the wire wrap on the back, like Hal notes. But now, dial tone is coming in from the RIGHT, and out on the LEFT, backwards from the way it's supposed to be (amphenol is supposed to be for the CUSTOMER, not the telco.)

Finally, the 4 pair IS from the fire alarm, with Blu and Grn feeding the Primary and Secondary, and Orange and Brown being the returns.

Nice work, NOT!

#445870 06/19/07 12:26 AM
Admin
Admin
Pretty damn stupid to use the patch panel that way. The wiring should have been terminated directly on the 66 block instead of that jumper. Sure hope those don't go to a fire panel.

Hal, of course they do :-) All you have to do is pull the 8p out of jack 1 and you get to disable the lines and the alarm system all at once!

We generously plan on 1/4 hour to terminate a 25-pair cable on a 66 block. A double ended Amp cable and a 66 to Amp block "might" be less than 1/4 hour of labor, especially if you don't know how to terminate a 25-pair cable, but I don't think so.

One other pet peeve. The bracket for the patch panel is upside down. It shows a clear attention to detail.

Aircom, it looks like you should intuitively know that the second row of the 66 block is yours to find the dial tone. Obviously it's not from the markings. The CG was probably gonna get to that when he installed the phone system.
Of course he told us where the alarm jack cable goes by clearly labeling the alarm jack cable with a sharpie.

Carl

#445871 06/21/07 04:08 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Update:

I plugged in my cable certification tool. Found out all jacks are terminated oddly. When I removed a wall plate, a number of plastic bags fell onto the floor. Oh look it's the keystone's bag, they used the wall as a trash can, wonderful. Went around to each wall plate and took out the trash...

Found a few lines that are dead somewhere in the ceiling. Customer calls CG, CG arrives. CG informs customer that he's not sure why his installers wired the building as is and that it needs to be re cabled. He informed the customer it would only be a few thousand. Customer turns RED.
CG explains he does not do free labor. Customer tells CG to leave.

Very fun night.

#445872 06/21/07 04:49 AM
CG informs customer that he's not sure why his installers wired the building as is and that it needs to be re cabled. He informed the customer it would only be a few thousand.
am I understanding this correctly

not sure why my guys screwed up

It will be a few thousand (more)to do it right

:rofl:

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,595 Shoretel
189,480 CTX100 install
187,631 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024