Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#449452 11/26/08 12:10 AM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Originally posted by Fletcher:
...Dave: in hotels anyway, added phone lines are rare above the 1st floor - most, if not all, of the space is for guest rooms. We run extra wire to places that often require future upgrades, such as the front desk, GM's office, conference rooms and so on. Any lines added last minute or after the fact would go where there is space for them....
Sorry, I took "Lines" as xxx-xxxx, yyy-yyyy, NOT home runs from the jacks. Home runs, YES, Lines NO.

aren't all of those guys are on the geek squad at Best Buy?
Unfortunately, many of them were so stupid they were kicked out of there and are out in the field.

Many of the pictures of the work done by forum members are really quite spectacular in my eyes.
Those pictures are TAKEN by forum members, hopefully not work DONE by members.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#449453 11/26/08 12:20 AM
Fletcher has a good point and maybe the only exception to "don't use CAT5 or 110 for voice". Like it or not, if you do hotels you're going to break your own rule and use CAT5e and CAT5e compliant blocks for all the cabling. Their standards are set by Corporate Brand IT wonks, some of whom are now even requiring CAT6 for new construction. (Any guesses why? Yep, the Holy Grail of VoIP)

I still do my equipment cutdown on 66 blocks so I have a test point in the circuit but from there on it has to be 110 or CAT5e 66 blocks with the twist right up to the stitches.

Harry at Telecom Equipment & Consulting
Specializing in Mitel systems for the Hotel/Motel industry
www.TECHarry.com
#449454 11/26/08 09:45 AM
Hal, concrete shoes, right?

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#449455 11/28/08 04:55 PM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
I have installed a bunch of predictive dialers..each agent has a voice connection and a pc. The IP of the pc has to match the voice number and the data number and the service observing number...Under those conditions you terminate either end out of order and you are really screwed. You will end up with a voice call not matching with the screen info and that really ticks off a telemarketing phone room manager. In other words we always label first and make sure cube one is voice 01 and data 01 and service observing position 01 and the pc's ip ends in .xx1 as well. Its our job to make it as easy for the Room Supervisor as possible.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
#449456 11/29/08 09:26 AM
Any guesses why? Yep, the Holy Grail of VoIP

Ya know, it's funny but if you look at VoIP systems, a separate VLAN like what you would have in a hotel would only have to be CAT3. The Avaya IPO phones will work fine with CAT3, it's only when you put voice on the data network will CAT5 or higher be required, and that's because of the data.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#449457 12/01/08 02:33 PM
SST Offline
Okay, all the jacks are in and labeled anally in order. They even go in clock-wise direction around the office so you can count out what jack is in what office without even looking. Two weeks later, you add 4 cables in 3 different locations. So, do we just throw our arms up in disgust because the customer doesn't understand that what they want will throw our number scheme out the window? Do we charge the customer extra to re-label all of the jacks? I guess we should have left big 'holes' in the numbering plan to be able to make sure we never have a different voice cable number than a data cable in the same jack plate under any circumstance. I guess I'm only going to wire jobs that have only equal amounts of voice and data wire so all will be even.

Sorry for the rant, I think we can get 3 pages on this subject. After all, numbering labels is one of my biggest worries these days. :bang:

#449458 12/01/08 03:42 PM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I always wrote up a floorplan first. All dual jacks (V&D) were numbered first in order. Then came the oddballs - fax machines, printers, modems etc. After the original install, stuff just went in with whatever numbers were available.

Some places add stuff daily, some never. I do the best job I can as defined by the SOW or, lacking one, as I see fit. After the install, it just goes as it goes - neat, clean, labeled - and out of sequence.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,601 Shoretel
189,482 CTX100 install
187,648 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024