web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
So far, we were only able to get one high-def DVR receiver going since there are only three home runs going from the dish to the 5X8 switch. Is there some kind of diplexer or something that we can use or do we need to pull a fourth cable? The third cable is a "home run" from one of the four outputs of the dish to the high-def receiver. Wow, DirectTV is a PITA! Time Warner sucks but much easier to cable.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I haven't done DTV installs in a few years, however I am sure you will need to homerun another line. When we wire for DTV we always pull at LEAST 6 cables near the dish. 8 cables if it is in a remote area or gas station (HughNET needs it's two cables)

The title of this post states "5 LNBs - only three RG6 Home runs."

Do you have the new KA/KU 5 LNB Dish?

Above, you stated that the home runs go to a 5x8 switch. For the switch, to operate properly, there MUST be 4 homeruns from the dish to the switch.

Then you will need a homerun from the switch to each receiver. DTV receivers do not need 2 homeruns unless it is a DVR. The DTV HD-DVR's have dual tunners, thus requiring 2 homeruns.

But to answer your question, YES you need another homerun from the dish to the switch.

However, you can run up to 4 receivers without a switch, if you homerun from the dish to each TV location. You basically only need the switch if you are going to have more than 4 TV's, or you want to Diplex Locals or CATV into the system.

Hope this helps you!

Kirk Herron
A mistake on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
CCSG, Inc.
www.ccsgweb.com
OP Offline
Hi Kirk - are you saying that if I connect one cable to each of three of the cables coming out of the dish, I can bypass the switch and connect a high-def box at each of three TVs? Is the exact cable coming out of the dish significant, or do they all give you both bands? Yes, it is a brand new 5 LNB dish. Sounds like this lady is going to have to have another home run to operate properly. Thank you for your consultation.

BFdatacom,

Yes, you can bypass the switch all together if you are not going to have more than 4 receivers.

If you notice, the dish is a 5 LNB, but only has 4 outputs. This is because there is a built in switch in the dish's LNB system, allowing you to run up to 4 receivers straight off the dish.

Each cable is able to support both bands (KA & KU) with out the need of an additional switch. As long as your total cable runs are not more than say 100 - 150' you will be just fine.

Kirk Herron
A mistake on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
CCSG, Inc.
www.ccsgweb.com
OP Offline
Wow, Kirk, thank you very much! I think she has exactly 4 TVs in her house and I will check. So one home run to the dish directly will drive the high-def box - awesome. I will reassess the situation using your scenario and let you know. Thanks again.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,806
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,377 Shoretel
189,072 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, justbill), 170 guests, and 398 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024