web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Not really sure if this should go here or in Cabling, so I figure I'll post it here and get corrected (I do apologize if this is the wrong spot).

I was out and about today, and decided to pick up a cheap analog line tester. I tested a couple of jacks that are working, and the tester indicates that the polarity of the line is reversed. Being new to all this, what does that mean? Is it a bad thing?

Next part of that is I was playing around with the butt set on a jack I was rewiring (swapped it out to match the room). That brought up two questions: It doesn't matter what order (tip vs ring) that the set is connected to the line does it?

Also, I don't remember which clip I had connected first, but I was listening to the butt set, and when I clipped one clip, I got a hum in the receiver, but when I clipped the other, it disappeard. Pressed the monitor button, and got dial tone. Curious as to what the deal there is too..

Thanks!
Scott

Complete noob.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Online Content
I moved this to cabling since the major question is about the wiring.

The polarity being reversed is no big deal on POTS lines. There was a time when it was an issue, if you put an older Touch Tone phone on the line you can't break dial tone with reversed polarity. So to you other question it doesn't matter to todays phones and other dial tone equipment where tip or ring goes. I think you'll find most of us want tip on tip and ring on ring. Why not do it right?

The hum you heard when you only had one clip connected on your butt set was impedence mis-match, that's why it went away when you put the other side on.

Another way to check polarity of the line is put one lead of your butt set to ground and the other to one side of the line. The line side that draws dial tone is the ring. We always did this in the old days at the protector to make sure things were straight inside.

Retired phone dude
Yep, reversed polarity doesn't bother a phone line anymore.

--Matt
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Ground Start Trunks (if anybody still uses them) require that polarity be kept straight.

How about payphones? Are they still ground start?

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
Thanks guys!

Since I'm somewhat of a perfectionist (and it'll drive me nuts), even though it doesn't matter, is it as simple as flopping the pairs around to correct the polarity? I checked all of the operational jacks in the house, and they all show up as polarity reversed, so I'm imagining that it's I'd just swap the wires around where the line comes in?

I was reading about ground start line seizure last night in the manual for the Harris Dracon TS21. Can someone explain it to me? Sounds like (based on what Sam said) it's not something that's necessarily used in residential wiring?

Thanks so much for the answers guys! My next step is to learn proper wiring technique, as I want to clean up the rats nest in my basement, then work on communications boards at both facilities I work at (all three if I can ever get to Kentucky again).

Complete noob.
Online Content
Yes it's just a matter of flipping the tip and ring, but if the tip and ring are laid down correctly in the jack check it at the DEMARC and see if it's straight. If not change it at the DEMARC.

Ground start are still use, though not as common as they once were, they were never used for residential. Their main purpose was to prevent glare on two way trunks. Thats when the incoming and outgoing calls butt heads.

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
I'm going to have to check it at the demarc, especially since it's all three jacks that are showing up as reversed.

Do any of you guys have a good reference for the coloring codes? For example, I know that on the jacks, it's red/green and yellow/black. Red I know is ring, and green is tip. Not sure about yellow and black.

Then, to confuse me even more, the wiring in the will is orange and orange/white and also blue and blue/white. Not sure what tip/ring should be on those.

Thanks!

Complete noob.
Online Content
Green tip red ring for pair one in a quad. Black tip ring yellow for second pair. W/BL tip BL ring for first pair in cable.

There's many sources on the internet for the color code, here\'s one

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
Perfect! Thanks Bill!

Complete noob.
Just some FYI. Do not mess with the feed coming into the NID. That side belongs to the phone company. You can change the polarity on your side though. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,813
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,378 Shoretel
189,081 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (justbill, ffej010, paulw), 114 guests, and 422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024