Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#454669 11/07/10 03:45 AM
Derrick Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
For years I have worn a custom designed leather zippable tool pouch on my hip that cost me about 300 bucks to have made. I loved it and it worked well, but it was heavy when loaded. Recently it developed screwdriver holes in the bottom of it.

I thought about having it repaired but opted to move all my tools to an installer's brief case tool bag. I bought it and loaded it up on the distributor's counter. One of the counter guys picked it up and looked at me with this incredulous expression.

"How in the world have you worn all this weight for so long?"

Beats me, it's a wonder I didn't walk in circles from the imbalance.

So no more tool belt for me. I have taken a load off for sure.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Admin
Retired Admin
At least once every 3 months I have to remove a tool from my bag...just to lighten the load. It usually weights +/- 25lbs and I still carry it on my right shoulder. Don't ask me how this has affected my shoulder and lower back over the years.

Two weeks ago I finally bought a folding hand truck...it sure beats carrying 4 new boxes of Cat 6 at a time.

I am finally: "Working smarter, not harder."

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
A couple of years ago, I split up my tools. First is a tool case with almost everything. Second is an old laptop bag with my butt set, toner, punch tools, plus a couple rolls of cross-connect.

It’s surprising how seldom the tool case sees the light of day. Most of the time, it’s the laptop tool bag hung over my shoulder and the real laptop case on wheels, and off I go.

Do you all have a go bag setup with the most common used items?

I generally carry a punchdown tool, stripper, scissors, various copper/fiber testers, toner, butt set, spare biscuit/wall jacks, ends and keystones, console cables for Cisco, fortigate, etc. Enough to let me diagnose any issue I'll encounter. Once diagnosed, I can run back and grab whatever I'll need for the fix.

I just use a laptop backpack filled with an assortment of cables, and a small tool pouch inside (punch tool, Klein 10 in 1 screwdriver, scissors, needle nose, and a couple of sharpies), an Amp crimp tool and a roll of X-connect.

Pretty rare occasion I need anything else.

D

Perfect example of a go bag is above ^^

I got tired of the toolbelt around my shoulder, and I now carry my main tools in a tool bag...even so it gets fairly heavy. It has enough room for my staple gun, butt sett, roll of cross connect wire, and parts box.
All of the big stuff (crimpers, coax stuff, wire, etc) goes in a large Craftsman box that I can also stand on if need be. It's got enough space to hold 18 inch drill bits smile
I also have another tool bag for my sound tools. Mostly a bunch of screwdrivers, wire cutters, crimpers, meter, audio cable tester etc. I have that at school with me since I'm always fixing one of our sound racks.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
I carry most of my tools in a roughly 10"x10" canvas bag. All of my screwdrivers, snips, toner, butt set, punch tools, test clips, bag of scotchloks, plus a DVOM and spool of cross-connect wire. That covers me for pretty much anything short of a new cable throw. I have a second box with my staplers, fish tape, etc.

I stil carry a leather tool pouch with me, but as a rule I keep it empty until I put it on. That forces me to think about what I'm actually going to need for the job, so I don't mess up my back any more than it already is. Otherwise it just tends to keep filling up with tools I never use more than once in a blue moon.

--
- Adam
I remember when I was a kid seeing the residential installers here in Manitoba use a leather zip bag about the size that cyblershoe described.

The business installers at the same time used a Platt style tool briefcase. I think the only ones that used a tool pouch were the OSP crews.

Right now I am using a tool bag and every now and then I empty it out as its too easy to load stuff in that does not get used a lot.

Thanks. You guys have got me organizing my tools again for the zillionth time. I didvided the much too heavy tool bag into two bags, putting the frequently used tools and supplies (using your lists) in one bag, and the medium frequently used in a second bag. I also have a cart loaded with rarely used tools and supplies for larger jobs. There is probably half the weight in the new frequently used tools bag. I can go back to the truck to get anything else needed if i find it necessary.

Bob

With all the variables involved, I am amazed when any voice and data technology works like it is supposed to.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,810
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,377 Shoretel
189,078 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, nfcphoneman), 138 guests, and 412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024