web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Whatever! Keep splitting cables and the rest of us will do it the right way!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Do what is in the customers' best interest ...... for many small business customers the right move is to split the pairs.

I know if someone were working for me and said... hey ... i can save you a hundred bucks or so by doing X... which will work fine ... or Y which wont' work any better ... i would say "thanks" and put the hundred in my pocket.

If i was the head of the telcom department at a large company i would tell them to run a new wire.

The problem with low voltage work is that if it's done wrong, nobody dies.

We need to lobby the industry to raise the voltages to 220 Vac. Then, when we tell a customer that "we can do it the cheap way, or the right way," they won't have a choice.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Sorry upstate, but I respectfully disagree. If my name is on it, it is going to be done properly. I would not suggest splitting wires out and deviating from standards. We know it may work, and in a pinch it is often done. If I am going to the trouble to run wires in a new installation, it is going to be done the right way, every time.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
We keep calling this "split pairs" which is also the term for splitting one wire from one pair and confusing it with another (white green looks like white blue). Running more than one application on a single cable run is really cable pair sharing. And guys it is going to be the next way of doing things....with cat 7 cable.

https://siemon.com/share/video/learn/08-05-06_danielle/08-05-06_danielle-view.asp

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Why is she still using a CRT monitor? HA

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
Sorry upstate, but I respectfully disagree. If my name is on it, it is going to be done properly. I would not suggest splitting wires out and deviating from standards. We know it may work, and in a pinch it is often done. If I am going to the trouble to run wires in a new installation, it is going to be done the right way, every time.
I would never do it in a new install ... that is a given. Nor would i do it for a run to a server or mission critical PC. The reality is it works fine in almost every instance... do you think Ed would have continued to do it if it didn't work??

But ... there are many instances where it makes a ton of sense..... as long as the customer is aware that they are deviating from standards and is ok with it...... if the customer is a "do it by the book" guy then i'll do whatever they want.

In my mind it is a wise decision to offer a small business owner in this economy a real world opportunity to save money without impacting performance.... i have seen many customers who understood the risk turn out to be happy and appreciate that an option was offered.

As a small business owner in this economy i know for a fact that i would appreciate the option being presented.... i might elect to go with the correct method... but i would always feel the guy was treating me fairly.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
You might find this interesting.

https://www.htdata.co.uk/user/files/downloads/coolportoutletst.pdf

Not available in the States for some reason.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Fair enough upstate...

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
In my mind it is a wise decision to offer a small business owner in this economy a real world opportunity to save money without impacting performance
First, let's get the definitions understood.

"Impacting performance" The jury is still out on this one. If a customer has funky problems, and the cables are shared, how do we absolutely know what's the cause?

"Impacting performance" Down the road, as needs increase and require more copper, the customer's "performance" will suffer if he can't just plug-n-play on a carefully thought out infrastructure. It doesn't matter to me if the operation is a paper bag manufacturer or a doctor's office, or a police department...which one in your opinion is "mission critical" by your definition?

Ask any customer if his operations are not "critical" and I'll bet he gives you a strange look.

"Saving Money" It takes perhaps 5% more labor effort to run two CAT5E cables a distance of 100 feet in new construction. No reason to talk about it here in public, but we all know what 100 feet of CAT5E costs.

When I recommend a second, third, or even fourth wire to a location in a big house or an office, I discount the costs of the additional wires. The customers expect it, just from a common sense viewpoint, and I'd be less than ethical to suggest that the price increase per wire, run to the same location, is based upon multiplying the cost of the first wire.

"Saving money" What I do is sell insurance. I don't sell future drywall and spackling work. Pay me now, or pay me later, and pay a lot more if later, by the way.

"Saving money" I make customers happy when they can save money by unplugging a printer from one jack, and plugging it into the spare right next to it, all in about three minutes. Compare the cost to rewire on an emergency basis vs the cost to call me and ask what to do, while I'm on vacation or otherwise tied up.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,809
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,377 Shoretel
189,074 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (nortelvoip, Toner, justbill), 117 guests, and 388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024