web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
I have to run some fiber & Cat5 about 100'. I toned/traced the existing (buried) 3/4" conduit and one end has been packed with dirt. I'm not sure how far the dirt intrudes into the pipe. It seems I can get my fish tape in to about 5' from the end. So...worse case...5' of dirt.

Water from a hose? Compressed air? Any suggesstions are appreciated. I'm guessing water first to turn the dirt "muddy", then compressed air to blast it out.

:shrug:

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
If the dirt is all caked up, it may be a lost cause. I don't know about the water thing. If you've got 5' of dirt, then the water is only going to seep into the first few inches and then perhaps create a plug that is even worse. That may be what has happened at the far end.

Is the far end visible? Perhaps using a raw fish tape on a power drill like a powered sewer snake might poke through and break it up to allow you to then blow it out with air pressure. I'd round off the end of the tape though to avoid cutting the cable already in there. I assume there is existing cable in it?

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Depending on how much $$ you want to spend on opening it up a sewer cleaning contractor with a jetter and or drain auger may be able to open it up.

If you want to try it yourself a pressure washer might work to open the plugged end up as it will have more force than just a hose.

OP Offline
Originally posted by MNDAVE:
Is the far end visible? Perhaps using a raw fish tape on a power drill like a powered sewer snake might poke through and break it up to allow you to then blow it out with air pressure. I'd round off the end of the tape though to avoid cutting the cable already in there. I assume there is existing cable in it?
Hmm...I like the auger idea. I'll try a small drain auger & shop-vac on the caked-up end. Worth a shot. I tried my steel fish tape, but it only seemed to compact the dirt even more.

Empty conduit. I can get to one end (Bldg. 1), but they cut it off below ground-level on the opposite end (Bldg. 2). That's where the dirt has intruded/settled over the years.

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
I would hook a hose up to the clear end however you can and turn the water on. Then go to the plugged end and start poking. If that doesn't work poke it with the drain auger. You can rent one for a few dollars, the kind with the electric drill powering it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
How deep is the conduit and is it hard to access on the buried end? Is it hard to reach? May be easier to just dig up the plugged up 5' of conduit, cut it out, and splice on a new piece....that is if it is easy to get to. Sounds like you need to do some work on that plugged end anyways to get it into the building, so may be the easiest option.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
I would use a shop vac and auger /fish tape or whatever else I could find to break the dirt up and work as mush of it out as possible I dont like the hose idea to start as it seems your just going to get mud

I would try to get a much dirt out and then maybe try to flush it with a hose

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Try fishing the conduit from both ends and use lots of cabling grease. If your 5 feet away its probally stuck on the last 90 degree bend and cable grease should help. You might try compressed air from the clean end. if its blowing through its probally stuck on the 90 degree bend. You might try and use 2 fish tapes on one fish tape put some string with a few loops in it and the other fish tape make a hook and try and hook the string and use lots of grease.
https://www.contact-directconnect.com/Contractor.htm
IBDN/CDT Certified for What's Comming Next! :thumb:

Those who say it can't be done?:db:Should not interrupt the people doing it! :db:

hook a hose up to the clear end... and turn the water on. Then go to the plugged end and start poking.
Please, please, hook up a camera. I can just imagine this one on funniest home videos! :db:

Did you try cutting off the tip of your tape and just have the raw end trying to poke through? It might weaken the clod just enough to blow it out with air pressure.

Hey Festec, We look like the Bobbsey twins here!

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
As business owners, installers and just plain jacks of all trades we like to think that we have the requisite skills to overcome just about any obstacle. The "case of the plugged pipe" has been presented and solutions provided.
Let me offer this:
Are you getting paid to clear the pipe even if not successful?
Does the customer have an electrical contractor on staff or contract for just such an event?
Is installing new pipe an option?
Is installing direct bury an option?
What's the best course of action and you still make money?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,791
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,109 Shoretel
188,988 CTX100 install
187,373 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (dexman, Toner), 103 guests, and 167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024