Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Rhonda Offline OP
OP Offline
Do we have anyone in the North East Wisconsin (Fond du Lac) area who would like to be my wiring vendor?

We have an Avaya Definity G3si version 11 with Definity Audix 3.2. I need someone who can be on site within a week for general wiring or within 24 hours for an emergency issue.

I have full Avaya maintenance on my switches but do not hire Avaya for wiring.

Currently I am paying 75.00 per hour which I think is awful high. My guy isn't the best at this an I was just billed for 4-hours of labor to move an analog jack from one room to another.

I had an independent guy at 45.00 per hour but he retired. What is everyone paying/charging out there for general jack wiring?

Thanks, Rhonda

To Succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone. ..Reba McEntire
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Is everything on patch panels? That would explain why it takes so long.

Rhonda Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I don't know the technical terms for it but I recall the words "wiring block" used around it. They appear to be white plastic, long narrow holders of neatly organized wires. The issues is this particular wiring guy who has very little time in with phone system wiring. My other guy would take 30-60 minutes for such a project.

To Succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone. ..Reba McEntire
Probably using 66 blocks then. Adding extensions to existing areas if single pair should be quick.

Is the wiring and jack in place and all he had to do is change the cross connect or did he have to run new wiring and install a new jack?

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
RIP Admin
RIP Admin
75.00 isn't bad depending on the area but 4 hours to run a cable and jack sounds wrong.

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
Rhonda Offline OP
OP Offline
No he had to put in the jack and the wire. I just received the bill today. To move one analog jack it ran 351.53. I think that's high.

What is a normal hourly wiring charge running out there?

Thanks, Rhonda

Rhonda, what I would do is approach him with that bill and question the time it took to run a cable...

Show him that you are paying close attention to his billing times, if he doesnt clean up his act....wave bye bye to him.......

Rhonda Offline OP
OP Offline
I acutally did question it as he originally charged me for 6 hours of labor. They do charge me for some drive time but he took lunch and I know 4 hours was the max I could have paid for. I guess there isn't much I can do. He just isn't meant for this type of work as I hear he was asking non Telecom and non IT staff technical questions. I am just going to pay it and find another vendor. I don't even mind the hourly charge as much as I mind paying someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I've had this same job done many times and I've paid for 2 or less hours of labor. I tried to give him time to learn but after many single jack moves it's not getting better. I have found another local company and am going to hire them for a while to see how it goes. Thanks for the help. Rhonda

Hmmm, well 4 hours isn't inconceivable depending on the difficulty of the run and the fact he was working alone. I too would suggest that you ask him why it took four hours, he should be able to tell you. Without knowing the specifics of the job it's impossible for anybody here to say if this is unreasonable.

Seems to me that your issue here is with cost rather than service and the quality of work. Most people who "pay the bills" only see the bottom line and don't understand what's involved.

I don't know the economy in North East Wisconsin but I suspect $75 per hour is more than reasonable. In Westchester County, New York we charge $135 for the first hour (gas is $2.50/gal) and $55 per half hour after that. If you asked me how much it would be to install wiring and a jack I would look you in the eyes and say "if you have to ask you can't afford it". [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

If this guy is responsive and does the work properly and neatly I would say you don't have a beef. That's a rare commodity these days and I wouldn't nickel-dime him.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,827
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,569 Shoretel
189,439 CTX100 install
187,602 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 28
teleco 8
dexman 6
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (Carl Navarro), 167 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024