web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#471789 10/12/07 01:59 AM
OP Offline
Hello,

I received a request from a "very important" person in my company. The request is to have a wireless polycom for her office which is quite large.

Problem is that her location will be converted to VOIP before Christmas. She wants this done now. Thus we jump smile

Is there a wireless polycom in the market that support VOIP?

thanks

Thank You,

Troy
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Not sure of a wireless polycom (I.E. Wireless phone) but you can use a WAP + Polycom to "Make" it wireless.

If they need a wireless phone as in walk-around handset then try a VTech 8100.

Admin
Admin
Looks like they are wanting a wireless conference room phone. Probably wanting a cordless boomerang for a conference table. The wired unit is a lttle unwieldy if it needs to be moved.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Correct! But is there a wireless option that works with Cisco IP phone system?

Thank You,

Troy
Konftel (The Swedsih version of Polycom) makes the KT 60W that is wireless, but it has to connect to a phone (IP or digital). It can connect by either bluetooth or a cable to the IP/digital phone. We have used the non-wireless version - the KT50 - and people have been very happy with it.

Or, if this can connect to an analog line you could use the KT200W. It connects to an analog port on the system so you do not need to connect it to a phone like the KT60W, but the phone itself is wireless IE: no wire from the base station by the jack to the phone itself sitting on your conference table.

The Konftel phones are conference phones from a Swedish company, they have something like 65% market share in Europe, but only like 1% here in the USA. People like them so far, and they cost quite a bit less than the polycoms.

Steve

OP Offline
great information!! I will look into that product.

Thank You,

Troy
OP Offline
Is there a unit that connect to the phone that communicates with the wireless conferencing station on the conference table? Or does the communicatioin go direct between the phone and conferencing unit?

As you can tell by my questioning I am out of my element on this one smile

Thank You,

Troy
Look at the CleaeOne Max line
https://www.clearone.com/products/product.php?cat=3&prod=92

They have wireless, and units that the base is installed at the head end, and the conference unit pulgs into an ethernet wall jack.

We use the ClearOnes exclusively now...

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
OP Offline
I spoke with a ClearOne rep. I was told one does not exist. The one mentioned above works with an IP phone system? you mentioned ethernet jack so i assumed it does.

Thank You,

Troy
Originally posted by yortmantup:
Is there a unit that connect to the phone that communicates with the wireless conferencing station on the conference table? Or does the communicatioin go direct between the phone and conferencing unit?
I believe, though check it out with Konftel, but the KT60W you have the IP phone in the conference room, and then by bluetooth it connects to the Konftel conference phone...if your IP phone is bluetooth enabled that is.

If it is not then you have to run a cord from the IP/Digital phone to the conference unit....so it is not really wireless...just one wire. If you do that then just get the KT50 which is much cheaper and works with an IP phone...basically it connects like a headset with an amp, but the confernece phone has the amp built in. So, both the phone and the conference phone would be on the table, but the conference mic and speaker is coming out of the Konftel unit.

Steve

OP Offline
Yeah that won't work. Unable to use Bluetooth. I appreciate the information.

Thank You,

Troy
Polycom SoundStation 2W

That's the only wireless polycom boomerang they offer. Either hook the base station up to a analog line or buy an ATA.

If you want Wifi conference phone then you could use the 2W and an ATA with Wifi.

That's all I got for polycom wireless conference phone smile

Admin
Admin
Are you on Cisco now or are you just fishing?.....curious

Does this work with Cisco we now have

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Will be Cisco before the end of the year. Converting 32 locations over the course of 3 months.

This request is one we would normally shoot down right away. Due to the "source" of the request we feel obligated to try and accomodate

Thank You,

Troy
Stand your ground. A confident "No" is worth more (to a good customer) then a questionable "Yes".

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Well, you finally mentioned the magic word "Cisco". It's not the magic cure-all that they tout when they convince CFOs on the golf course to buy their goods. It's not a one-size fits all "system". It is an application running on a specialized server using proprietary devices to carry voice traffic.

They are not phone systems and there aren't many non-Cisco products out there that can be purchased via mainstream sources that are compatible out of the box. Their products do not interface directly with other brands of systems or devices. I have documented cases as proof.

Remember how you can't plug a Comdial phone into a jack for a Rolm phone? How about an Avaya phone into a jack for a Fujitsu station? IP offers a lot of portability, but not here.

SIP may be a protocol that will bridge this gap, but will the "magic solution" be equipped to provide SIP to stations on a wireless basis in your case? I doubt it.

Wireless (A.K.A: cordless) phones and devices are not anything like devices that work on wireless IP networks. Completely different architecture; completely different networks; two different animals.

I have a wireless phone at my home that won't interface with my wireless network of light switches.

This is yet another thing that separates real phone systems from Cisco. You need to tell this person that they have a lot more serious considerations to make than keeping up with the bunch at the next tee. That's what it's all about. There are not many system manufacturers discussed on this forum that can't offer the true benefits of VOIP without the ridiculous cost and limitations of such products.

If they were so great, I'd guess that many of us here would be selling their products. Therein lies the difference. You really owe it to yourself and to this industry to "just say no". They've made up their mind; let them live with it. That's the only way they are going to learn.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Point taken. Thank you.

Thank You,

Troy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Professor Shadow), 206 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024