Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello!

Let me begin by mentioning that i have never done this before, and some technical talk might not mean much to me. As i am repairing my new, old Western Electric 2500D, i have spent much time reading old posts on this forum. Super helpful.

The last (hopefully) problem i am having is with my handset volume. I don't have any spares to switch out parts or the handset itself, so my trouble shooting is slightly limited. I cannot hear! The dial tone is super quiet, and voices on the other end are even more so. My callers can hear me just fine. I pulled apart the handset, cleaned all the connections, checked to make sure the wiring inside the phone was to spec. What other little things can i try, and if nothing, what parts should i try replacing? I haven't moved the handset wires.

white wire : R
white wire #2: S (maybe? there are more screws than letters on the diagram on the side ha)
red : RR
black : B

Did i break it?
-I've already corrected the non-ringing problem by connecting my black ringer wire to L1.
-I've reversed the polarity from the phone to the phone line. Red and green lines are the only ones connected.
-I got my dial out working by cleaning the connection on the cores (BTW- anyone know what kind of adhesive i should use to re-seat these?)

I really appreciate any help.

Thanks!
alison

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
oh-oh-oh I forgot.
I think i had good volume before i repaired the dialing problem. I didn't move any wires around, just pulled the magnets off the cores and cleaned the adhesive off. It used to be that when i pushed a key, my volume would go whisper quiet, but my dial tone wouldn't go through. I can make and receive calls now.

I just banged the handset on the table. wink i banged the "ear side with holes", and the phone got quieter. i then banged the outside of ear side (handle), and my volume is perfect. So that is awesome, however if i have this problem again, i'd like to actually fix it without the love tap.

Still need to know what kind of adhesive to use on the core.

thanks!

If you took the dial apart, you say you removed the magnets, you've probably ruined the dial. The voice path goes through the dial. Ask on this board if anyone has a solid state dial they can sell you along with the wiring instrutions. Polarity doesn't matter on the solid state dials.

Retired phone dude
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Go to the car parts store and get a tube of blue Loc-Tite. Make darn sure you've got the cores perfectly tuned, because you WON'T get a 2nd chance! And "a little dab'll do ya", to quote the old Brylcream jingle.

If the phone base was sitting next to the 'handset banging location', the vibration probably 'jiggled' the contacts on the dial, or possibly on the hookswitch, causing a better connection.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
OP Offline
thanks for the advice! The dial is working just fine, so i am pretty sure i didn't ruin it. i did tune the cores... though perfect is not a guarantee. I'm going back through to clean and connect everything before buttoning this up. Hopefully i don't knock something loose!

I do want to replace the dial, as the keys are worn and sticky. Having a really hard time finding a replacement though. So if anyone has a solid state dial, that would be great. Is there a particular sub-forum i should post that request in?
thanks again-
alison

Originally posted by Lightninghorse:
Make darn sure you've got the cores perfectly tuned, because you WON'T get a 2nd chance!
That's where the problem will lie. The dial contacts in the center below the tuners are the ones the voice path goes through. I'm sure you don't have a bunisher so clean with copy paper or something real clean, we used to use match books.

I will be quite surprised if you get those tuners back where they work right. That shouldn't have anything to do with the voice path though.

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
Everything works like a charm: making and receiving calls and the volume is good. Thanks for all of your help!

alison

Glad you got it working, I'm a little surprised though, pleasantly that is. :thumb:

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
Pretty sure i just got lucky... maybe i will find another one to play with!

Not sure what you meant by solid state dials...but keypads for 2500 style phones are easy to find.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,607 Shoretel
189,486 CTX100 install
187,671 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 141 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024