Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#477972 06/08/09 06:41 AM
MacOSX Offline OP
Moderator-Toshiba
OP Offline
Moderator-Toshiba
Okay, the provider is Simple Signal (not solutions as I previously posted)

We have all the information and have programmed the MIPU accordingly... just a couple of questions, but I'll PM them - since they're Toshiba programming specific.

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#477973 06/09/09 02:09 AM
MacOSX Offline OP
Moderator-Toshiba
OP Offline
Moderator-Toshiba
Up and working on one of the two providers!

Thanks p2ii, for all your help!

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
#477974 06/12/09 09:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I work for a company that provides SIP trunking. We only service Arizona as we only deliver over circuits that we have full control over.

We use a Metaswitch VP2510 as our primary softswitch. It's a nice platform, very solid.

We typically provide an Adtran Total Access 9XX as the customer premise device. It allows us to hand off to either analog FXS, provide T1/CAS, PRI or Ethernet to connect to an IP capable PBX.

I've delivered end to end SIP trunks to Allwox and Asterisk. As for PRI hand off, we've connected to various Nortel, Mitel, Vodavi and Avaya switches.

SIP trunks can be "interesting" to troubleshoot if you are not used to looking at a SIP trace. However once you get used to it, it is much easier than debugging ISDN setup messages.

#477975 06/13/09 05:03 PM
MacOSX Offline OP
Moderator-Toshiba
OP Offline
Moderator-Toshiba
I have seen so many lines of Wireshark in the last three days, that I have dreams with Wireshark traces running!

I did finally get the second provider up and running, which was an amazing learning experience... I basically had 6 straight hours of SIP troubleshooting, so I have a good logical troubleshooting method now.

I did not realize how many different options and settings there can be! So many points of failure. I'm sure, as with any technology, it will get easier over time and have standards put in place for setup.

----

The two providers were Celerity and Simple Signal - one with IP authentication and one with URI/PW authentication.

Thanks for all the input here, I really appreciate it!

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
#477976 06/13/09 07:16 PM
SIP is already written to a standard. It's 200-something pages long, depending upon which RFC you look at.

It's also written to be an open standard which means that there is no one-way to do anything. This allows you to use SIP for basically anything. And this also means it's a pain in the butt when things go wrong.

But you'll get used to it. Either that or you will just complain about it and avoid it.

#477977 06/14/09 02:37 PM
MacOSX Offline OP
Moderator-Toshiba
OP Offline
Moderator-Toshiba
I'll definitely get used to it! Is this a standard that we could see integrated with cellular PDA/data plans, for total mobility and low-cost... ie Skype SIP ?

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
#477978 06/14/09 09:29 PM
Sure, if they wanted to offer that service.

SIP is more like a protocol to carry other protocols. All it knows is that Server A has some data engine that wants to talk to another data engine on Server B. That data engine could be VoIP, Video, IM, File Transfer, etc.

Think of it more like e-mail. You can type anything you want in an e-mail. Lets say you email your buddy asking to meet for lunch. You and him send some replies back and forth and then eventually decide on a place, leave, and go eat. SIP does the same thing basically.

It is designed to help figure out how to get things done. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the act of it.

#477979 06/15/09 06:28 PM
I think its funny, all of my phone system manuf, NEC, NORTEL, Allworx, 3Com have a list of "approved" vendors. That's BS if you set it up right it will work. I have even in the past 2 years started offering hosted IP phones (not reselling anyones service) and SIP trunks. The main trick is the router if the Broadband is iffy. I would strongly Edgewater, they make the worse Broadband connection even look good. Hope that helps.

#477980 06/17/09 03:56 AM
The biggest part of "approved" provider/vendor lists is that there is already a provisioning template available for the system/switch. This way you can make sure that things like DTMF and Caller-ID and outbound number presentation are all set right without spending hours figuring it out.

But, if you do know what you are doing and you have the tools, you can hook up to anything.

#477981 11/11/09 03:53 PM
Tony, that approved provider list is BS from the manuf, I was told the same thing. I have put SIP trunks on IP systems, Older systems (had the router send like a PRI signal and heck even use FXO IAD's You can put SIP on any system.
Any questions let me know.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,613 Shoretel
189,502 CTX100 install
187,758 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (nortelvoip), 164 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024