web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
A customer of mine wants to add another camera in their warehouse/production floor. I've already got a cat 5 cable going between the DVR and the warehouse with one pair being used for a camera on a balun. It would be much easier if I could run the second camera off another pair of this same cable. Has anyone done this and will it work? Otherwise I would have to run several hundred feet of cable and work around a lot of equipment that is in the room.
Thanks!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Technically, it might work but that's not the correct way to do it as you know.

It could possibly degrade the picture quality on both cameras for one thing.

Also, rigging it like you are talking about will come back and bite you in the rear if the customer decides to install IP cameras that require Power Over Ethernet (POE) in the future.

I would say run a new cable and be done with it. It may cost a little more in labor now but it could possibly save the customer more money in the future. :toast:

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
...Otherwise I would have to run several hundred feet of cable and work around a lot of equipment that is in the room.
Thanks!
Welcome to "Reality" kiddo, where REAL men work on a daily basis. laugh

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Jeff - I got two cameras (two video and two power from 1 4-pair CAT5E) several times with no problems. I am sure it will work. If it is 12-volt or 24-volt power, you may be able to power both cameras from one pair with the correct power supply. I am sure you can get video from one pair with inexpensive baluns. The prices on video baluns have really come down. I just spent the better part of today tweaking my 9 camera DVR system for my condo building. I back fed the video of 9 cameras from the DVR back down to the garage on one pair where I have all the CAT5Es going to each separate unit. I installed a CELabs AV700 composite amplifier, and with 1 pair I can give each unit the entire video of the DVR with 1 pair from the distribution amp. The rearranging of the twisted pair took a little tweaking to get rid of any noise, but now it's clean and distributes the video nicely.

Originally posted by bfdatacom:
...The rearranging of the twisted pair took a little tweaking to get rid of any noise, but...
Now do you see why it's best to do it the correct way to begin with Jeff? If you do the job right the first time there won't be a need for "tweaking" and the return trips to "tweak" it over and over and over...

Most of us here can make just about anything "work" one way or another, but that isn't really the goal in the long run when you provide a professional service.

OP Offline
Yeah. I think I'll play it safe and run a whole new cable. I charge by the hour anyway laugh

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,459 Shoretel
188,318 CTX100 install
187,091 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
C5Z 2
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024