web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#482291 11/13/10 04:40 AM
OP Offline
Hi eveyrone: Trying to help my sis out as she finishes a remodeling project. There has been some new telephone wiring done, and right now, she has her security system hooked up to the panel as an extension. I know this is bad and that an RJ31X jack is to be used in order to make sure that the panel can seize the line when an alarm occurs. She has phone service through her cable provider, and while I didn't look at things too closely, it looks like there is a 66-block there, with all of her phone jacks connected throughout the house on one side and the dialtone from the modem looped through on the other side.

How would I go about connecting dialtone to the RJ31X jack with a wiring setup like this? Could I put a duplexing jack in the back of the modem, leave the 66 block alone and simply wire from that second jack on the duplex jack to the 31X jack for CO? Could I then take another loop in the 66-block and feed that in to the premesis side of the jack?

Not sure if I'm grasping the concept right. Thanks for your help.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Dialtone goes into the RJ31X on pins 4 and 5 and goes out to the phones in the house on pins 1 and 8.
Not sure what the duplex jack would do for you.
If it were me, I would run a cable directly from the EMTA to the RJ31X and wire it on 4 and 5. I would run another cable from the 66 block to the RJ31X and wire it on 1 and 8. That would be your dialtone feeding all the phones.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Admin
Admin
Why would you want to not use the 66 block? The blue pair goes to the modem side and the orange pair goes to the house side of the 66 block and you pull out the bridge clips, or run the blue pair into the modem and the orange pair into the former modem side of the 66 block. No matter how you look at it, you will insert the cable pairs between dial tone and the drop.

Now at the end of that cable you wire an RJ31x with the blue pair on 4&5 (red and green) and the orange pair ont 1&8(white/blue?).

From your name that should have been obvious.

Carl

Honestly I would consider adding a GSM ..that's what I did when I went to a cable phone line. If that's not an option see carls post above ;9)

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
OP Offline
So just to be sure - on the 66 block, you have jacks running on one side and dial tone on another. I would take from the dial tone side and run to the CO (4 & 5) for the 31x, and then on the jack side, I would run to pins 1 & 8 ... is that right?

My name could be PhoneExpert - doesn't mean I know any more or less. smile

All you need from the 66 block is a feed from the dialtone side which would go into 1 and 8. 4 and 5 would connect directly to the EMTA.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Admin
Admin
Here's the visual. Try a search engine "how to wire an rj-31x jack" or here's the simple one https://www.masonmonitoring.com/pdf/support/HowToProperlyWireAnRJ31X.pdf

Down here almost all the panels I see have Tip Ring IN and A Tip Ring OUT. No need for a RJ.
Just catch Dt at Demarc, cabel to Panel.
WB to Tip Ring In WO to Tip Ring OUT. Back at the Demarc WO feeds COE side.
Less to go wrong.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Originally posted by brokeda:
...Less to go wrong.
Maybe in your world. The whole purpose of the jack is so that IF there is a problem, you can disconnect the alarm and see if the problem still exists (scratch line for example)

I had a client that was constantly having problems. Each time I disconnect the plug, his phone would work. He finally took my advice and called in his alarm guy to clear their problem.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Not to mention a run-away system that keeps sending signals to the central station!

Always use an RJ31X !!!

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,710 Shoretel
189,753 CTX100 install
187,917 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Yoda), 129 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024