Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
The phone you are describing is what we used to call a "3 line pick up and hold" set. it was made by both ITT & WE and was almost identical to the AE 187 set. They were NOT used with 1A2, rather they were an inexpensive substitute utilizing mechanical hold and neon lamps for ringing. Lighted line lamps were available by using a transformer.

You could convert a 564 set for single line use but as Bill mentioned you won't have hold. You could jury rig the light to come on when you pick up the phone.

As described above, you could connect a 25pair female connectorized cable to the male connector on the set and wire that to a terminal block. Or you could just run a 4 conductor cord into the set and wire right to the screw terminals.

Bring dial tone (Tip & Ring) to the White/Blue & Blue/White wires labelled 1T & 1R. Run one side of a 6-10 volt transformer to the Green/White wire (1L - 1st line lamp lead). Run the other side of the transformer to the Orange/White (A1) lead. Run a short piece of wire from the White/Orange (1A) lead to the White/Green (Lamp Ground) lead.

When you pick up the phone dial tone will be connected to the handset and with the 1st line key in the down position current from the transformer will be switched through the closed A-A1 contacts and will light the lamp.

To make the bell ring, move the Yellow/Slate & Slate/Yellow wires from their current position (RT & RR?) and move them to the White/Blue & Blue/White terminals. This will bridge the bell across the line and incoming ringing voltage will ring the bell. You will NOT have incoming line flash. To get that you would either have to add a Neon lamp and resistor or go for a full blown 1A2 KSU.

Hope this goes a little way toward explaining this. Welcome to the board and don't be shy about coming back to ask any questions.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
Really appreciate the quick and helpful responses! Glad I joined this forum. I was unsure at first but then I noticed the 1A2 section so I figured it was the place to go.

OP Offline
Also: do most of the 2564 sets contain a buzzer? If so, could I hook it up to Line 1 and unplug the ringer from the mini switchboard inside?

OP Offline
Arthur, I do know about the Phone Museum, but it is around 2 hours from here and I don't know that I would be able to do that. Thanks!

OP Offline
The 3 Line 3 Hold ITT set can be found for sale at this link:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ITT-3-line-3-h...04074657QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCorded_Phones

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
2564 sets generally do not include a buzzer, at least not those made by ITT or Comdial. I am not sure about Western Electric 2564's, but my gut reaction is to say no for those too. The only sets that I know of that included buzzers were WE 2565 and 2830 but I may be wrong.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
I recently notice an eBay listing for a 4 line 1A2 key system from around 45.00 total, an amazing deal. I am debating whether to get it or not but I have no idea how to wire the system.

https://cgi.ebay.com/BELL-SYSTEM-WE...wItemQQptZCorded_Phones#ebayphotohosting

OP Offline
Also, if I had more than one hard-wired 1A2 keyset in the house.. If I picked up one of the phones, would the lamps on the other keysets also light solid? I am assuming that would require the system.

OP Offline
I think I may just get the system, lol. But I don't know that my dad would want to have me wiring Amphenol jacks all over the house, especially since we are going to try and move sometime next or this year.

You'd just burn those buzzers up they aren't made for ringing voltage.

Retired phone dude
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,290
Posts638,801
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,372 Shoretel
189,056 CTX100 install
187,410 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Yoda), 78 guests, and 380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024