web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#523881 02/08/10 02:58 AM
OP Offline
HI! There , I was looking To adding Xblue to my line up in Canada , but i found out from Ernie that it is not FCC approved for Canada and he says The Market is also been tough to break into. So it also means to get approved means changing some of the components on the circuit boards?? OH well i guess i will have a Labatts Blue with That. :toast: :confused:

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Too bad, it's a great system.

OP Offline
The other thing is there are people out their that will sell xblue to Canada. So if i did install them and somebody found out i could tarnish my Business name. I'm not sure if the relays etc. are to a higher rating for Fcc to aprove in Canada and whatever else. If i put surge protectors on the co lines that would do it.Oh well back to Grindmill. :sleep:

FCC does not certify terminal equipment (i.e. telephone sets etc.) in Canada, they only look after the US market.

To be sold in Canada these devices require an Industry Canada listing to prove that they meet the following requirements.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01590.html

I have been told that Sears in Canada wont service their branded electronics that people bought in the US and brought over the border as the requirements differ.

OP Offline
Thanks MBHydro, thats good to know, links are handy . I wonder if the XBlue would have to make any changes to be approved?? I found a seller in California and his site says they are approved to work in US and Canada, so i called to ask how it got them approved to Canada?? And he said the US and Canada Tel. systems are the same . :rofl: Okay i guess some people will say anything to make a sell to the uninformed. :shhh:

This dealer your found is correct the system should work in Canada it just won't have the Federal Government approval sticker on it.

Nortel and WECO standards are almost the same (call display has some differences) but still work with each other.

One change for sale in Canada is all the documentation from XBLUE would have to be in English and French if its not already like that.

I was just thinking would Canada Customs clear the shipment across the border without the IC and/or testing stickers (CSA or ULc) on it?

OP Offline
I believe he has been shipping them to Canada already ,also you can buy on ebay.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
But, as you point out, they are not approved to Canadian standards. Just being 'as good as' ain't gonna get it. Maybe if some of you canooks got together and guaranteed a minimumu initial purchase of the 100, you could convince them to jump through all the hoops!
-----------------------------------------------
"I have been told that Sears in Canada wont service their branded electronics that people bought in the US and brought over the border as the requirements differ."
-------------------------------------------------
Some of the refurber/gray-market folks that were selling P'sonic phones for the TD1232 were selling Canadian sourced phones. The Atlanta Repair Center will not repair them!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
The biggest problem that you're likely to encounter is when something fails. When Bell or whoever services your area finds it without a "DOC" sticker, they'll cut it out of service AND flag your location for a follow-up visit. If it's connected again the lines will be disconnected at the CO. And YES, they DO have that power!

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
OP Offline
Thats it Dave , i don't want to install something not approved if it will reflect badly on my Business, i guess i could try it at my site for a year . eek

I would suggest then that you get one from a reputable dealer (hopefully from here on the board) who can support you and not some "Fly By Night" on-line salesman.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
OP Offline
Okay if someone can give me a good deal on a x16 with 4 telephones, Shipped USPS to ON. Canada, L1C1L3, shoot me a Pm . I would want latest Ver. software, and 3 yr. warranty.I will consider offers.Thanks Brett

If you do go that route, be forewarned to keep it in YOUR shop environment so YOU can answer any questions and get all the grief when Bell comes-a-knocking.

Also take note that if the system does not conform to Canadian standards and causes any problem on the public network Bell has many powers to deal with it, and you won't have a leg to stand on. I believe that they have the power to "fine" you as well....at least they used to.

IMO, the best route to follow is to contact X-Blue. If enough of us pressure them, then they MIGHT, I say again MIGHT take the initiative to resubmit their systems for certification in Canada. I've tried for two years, so good luck.

Warranty?? sent to Canada???

If you have talked to the powers that be at xblue. Why are you still requesting it? Call the guy in Cali and let him loose his business over it. Not the good folks here!!

Interesting thread. Out of curiosity I asked my electrical inspector about the ramifications of a company installing non CSA approved anything electrical in Canada.

He said simply "if it causes a fire or any other problem that damages any other electrical equipment, 2 things will happen, the company that installed it is in trouble, and the customer's insurance will not cover the damage or loss."

For the most part this is not an issue for buying cross border - like on ebay or from USA/Canadian vendors, because the products are made for both markets (with respect to CSA/UL approval).

Without the CSA/UL sticker, you really are putting your company at risk, it's likely your company liability insurance would be voided by installing non-CSA approved equipment. A prudent question for your insurance company.

~ Marty

Sometimes there ARE ghosts in the machine. I use MSN Live, ask me for the addy if you want.

Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

http://www.vernontelecom.com
OP Offline
Thanks for all your comments also big thanks to Marty for helping me on a Samsung job. :thumb:

I was at one of my insurance company clients today and I fielded the question to their commercial insurance agent.

She said "as long as it has a UL-C or ULC sticker / number, the insurance company has no complaints". She also said that locally there is a guy who will do compliance testing for about 200$ (notably for people moving into the country from off continent) to gain the ULC approval sticker on their appliances and stereo equipment.

Might be something to explore in that direction.

~ Marty

Sometimes there ARE ghosts in the machine. I use MSN Live, ask me for the addy if you want.

Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

http://www.vernontelecom.com
OP Offline
Thanks again Marty , your very resourceful , i will look into it and what labels are on it or maybe one of the Techs here can tell me . :toast:

Admin
Admin
The only sticker on the KSU has the Logo, barcode, serial number, UL listed approval and the FCC registration number. It also has the FCC compliance concerning interference reception.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thanks!! R.B. Fishing , looks like its definitely not approved in Canada. :read: I 'm Xing Xblue. It probably would work no problem but its not worth ruining your business or the fines. Thanks again.

Originally posted by mbhydro:
This dealer your found is correct the system should work in Canada it just won't have the Federal Government approval sticker on it.

Nortel and WECO standards are almost the same (call display has some differences) but still work with each other.

One change for sale in Canada is all the documentation from XBLUE would have to be in English and French if its not already like that.

I was just thinking would Canada Customs clear the shipment across the border without the IC and/or testing stickers (CSA or ULc) on it?
i know the sears thing, as well most house insurance policies wont cover you if a non csa approved device cause the incident.

a few years back price club was selling american market consumer electronics in canada. My Pioneer stereo has no CSA label or french documentation

Jay, a recovering IT guy
KLD Offline
Bump

Ken
---------
Bringing this up again in case anyone is still interested in having these in Canada. Several years ago, after several years of kidding Paul Lynch about the issue, he called me one day & asked if I would be willing to let XBlue use my address in Canada and be willing to sign an attestation letter to that fact. That's all they needed to get approved in Canada by Industry Canada.

Found out soon after, with a phone call from someone in Toronto, Ontario. He was looking for an XBlue system. He called XBlue and was told to contact me as I was the only distributer in Canada (at that time anyway). Couldn't sell this guy a system as he was looking on line for prices & couldn't understand that they were in US currency, not Canadian AND that I, as well as anyone else, would have to pay duties & taxes coming into Canada.

I'm still selling them. In fact installed one today.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Were they sold at Costco Wholesale Club locations in Canada? Are there even Costco locations in Canada? They started selling X16 packages there about 8 years ago and we dealers got a bad taste over that. Granted, their price wasn't so low that it robbed us of sales, but it still was being touted as a DIY product. The package even included a bunch of very long line cords, couplers, etc. I've only encountered three of these systems here in NC since I moved here (one was at my doctor's office) and the other ones I relocated or serviced for my company. There must have been a dealer here at some point, but I get the impression that there wasn't a large market for it.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
I haven't seen one in years.
Surprised there still around

Ed, I don't remember seeing them at Costco but they were available at Staples.ca.

Due to their limitations my market for them is a lawyer or notary's office or home mostly...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  EV607797, MnDave 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,791 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024