Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Many apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong forum. Thought since I'll be discussing an 80's era ITT telephone, this would be the place to post.

Just quickly wanted to make mention of an extremely superficial analysis of a Cortelco 2500 versus ITT 2500.

From what I understand, ITT was not thought to measure up to Western Electric in terms of quality products, of course, this may entirely be a matter of opinion, but a very superficial comparison on my part of a Cortelco 2500 versus an ITT 2500 shows what looks like quite a dramatic "step down" from the ITT model.

My 80's era ITT 2500 just comes across as a "heftier" phone, by a long shot.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
It is true that the Cortelco models are now made overseas, although they were made in Corinth, MS for many years. The ones labeled ITT were made at the Corinth facility pretty much since day one. They were not as rugged as Western Electric 2500 sets, but they were nearly identical from an electrical perspective. The new imported ones are very similar to the ITT models, but there are slight differences in quality and wiring designations.

From a visual perspective, ITT sets contained much more in the way of plastic parts than WE. Aside from slight differences in the wiring of some of the dials, they were electrically identical.

To be fair, most of the downgrading is due to the fact that there just isn't much call for the flexibility that was necessary in the older days. Things such as A leads, separate ringer pairs, etc. just aren't required in 99% of today's applications for a single-line set.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
The 80s WE sets had a plastic cover over the contacts to keep the dust off so if nothing else, it was a better design to include that piece. Aside from WE being a tad more rugged, the ITT quality was pretty darn good.

On a side note - Are any phone sets even made in America anymore? I think Comdial and Cortelco were the last holdouts. Are any Tvs made in America? Anyone wonder why our economy is in the dumpster?

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Couldn't agree with you more mndave. America used to build things, and build them well. Now the stability of the entire world's economy rests on Americans consumer habits. You have to buy everyone else's crap to keep the ship from going down...but I digress.

Thanks for the run down Ed!

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
I think a lot of it has to do with de regulation the design parameters went from building a phone that could be installed and rented with no service
to a phone that could be sold and would need to be replaced

you can look at some of the AE stuff and metal parts from the late 70's early 80's became plastic (and would break ) come the mid 80's editions

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Cat 6 Offline OP
OP Offline
That makes a lot of sense Skip. Most of the old phones were the property of the telco before if I'm not mistaken, so they must have been built to industrial standards. And I'll take Ed's word that 99% of SLT's don't need the flexibility of the older sets, but at the smae time, electronic/electric appliances are not really built to last anymore overall.

A standard CRT television will last about 15-17 years if left on 24/7. An LCD or plasma TV will only last half that if left on 24/7.

Originally posted by MNDAVE:
The 80s WE sets had a plastic cover over the contacts to keep the dust off
My 1999 Cortelco sets have a plastic cover over the (hookswitch?) contacts too. I haven't seen any without one.

The plastic cover over the switch hook contacts has been present since the early 500 sets on all brands. Most items that were changed to plastic were the frame of the ringer assembly and the network. Instead of a network enclosed in a potted metal can, ITT, S/C and Northern Telecom switched to an open PC board with a plastic base to secure it.

These made the phones much less resistant to damage when they were dropped. WE kept their network in the metal frame/enclosure forever until very near the end of the manufacture of these sets.

This all had to do with saving money PLUS the fact that telcos didn't own the sets anymore, so they didn't care if they broke. When they were being rented, that was another story as Skip mentioned.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Thanks. I guess I was remembering the plastic cover over the back of the dial pads. Been awhile since I've opened up a WE. I mostly installed ITT 2500s on the old Siemens and Harris PBXs. I just remembered WE having some kind of extra dust protection over the ITT sets.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

my refurbisher here gets me cortelco handsets and i find the seam on the side can be annoying comparted to the northern telecom ones

Jay, a recovering IT guy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Touch Tone Tommy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,290
Posts638,801
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,372 Shoretel
189,055 CTX100 install
187,410 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 74 guests, and 402 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024