Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Keep Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks.

We are having a complete VOIP network readiness test conducted prior to any attempts at installation. Hopefully this will ID any potential issues prior deployment. Though what exactly the assessment entails I have yet to find out.

telemarv - I understand what you are saying, but the price difference was just to big to justify without concrete evidence that the proposed product would not meet our needs. I was pushing for the AllWorx solution as it was a close 2nd in the write up, but again the price difference took the decision out of my hands.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
The price difference will most likely be offset once you have your network readiness test done and find you need to replace most of it. VoIP still has a long ways to go to meet the quality and dependability of the TDM systems.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
We have a 3COM system at work, it's all IP but the phones are on separate switches from the data. We don't seem to have any problems with bandwidth and the system works like it should.
I do agree VOIP is not the be all-end all, but with the right internal network it will function a lot better.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Biggest difference between a botched VOIP system and a digital system is that you are still getting calls on your digital system and not having voice grade issues.

Keep Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the info.

All of our quotes were for VOIP systems, so the costs for network items would have affected any of them.

I will look into having separate switches for phones/network. But some locations will share as the desktops will need to run off the phone network drops. Only a couple but I am betting they will be the sites that have issues at the start.

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
The network test should have been done before you signed anything. Watch the cost go way above the 25% savings. Keep your check book opened.
Your questions should have been asked before buying, not after.
Good Luck

Keep Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah I agree on the Network test.

The same questions were asked of all vendors and they all agreed after looking at our current setup that things will work as planned. There were no issues brought up during the process. We have a very good and healthy WAN setup that has been running for a few years. We have the available bandwidth and the lines are clean.

Of course there are always things that are missed and that's why we are conducting the testing prior to the roll out. This will give me time to work out any issues. I will be the one doing any network improvement/wiring etc not the vendor. I knew going in there will be some inside work to be done.

I did not go into this blind. I did dig into the basics of VOIP, but until the actual system was nailed down I could not dig to deep into specific requirements, that's why I posted this to see if anyone had some info on this specific system. If we had went with another system I would have made the same post in that vendors sub-forum.

KLD Offline
Being a computer guy, you know what CRISCO will do.... BUT ....in the computer world. In the telephony world you find they are rookies....with the usual rookie mistakes in equipment design and durability.

If you had a hurt foot, would you go to a dentist?

Now your options are very limited .... and of course the vendors said everything is "OK"....they are there to make a sale, not to verify anything else. The worst of that type are the CRISCO sales people....they think you IT guys know their data rep so they can lie to you anyway they want and you will buy it anyway.

Why am I so negative about these people? I used to buy telecom equipment for a very major international company....and the IT people pushed for CRISCO. Tried it, done it, and they had to pay to take it back as it DID NOT operate, nor deliver what they claimed/promised and the contract specified they where responsible to pay the price. Thankfully it was only one new location....we stayed Nortel based at world headquarters and the IT guys soon learned their "black eye" in telephony helped them....we took great care to get them "big honking pipes" and they took great care in letting the telephony guys make sure their telephones rang.

Keep us informed....we always like to hear how these things work out. :thumb:

Ken
---------
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
I support an enterprise-sized Cisco system (more than 1000 phones, eventually about 3000 phones, covering multiple sites). If built and installed well, and if you have a good LAN and WAN, all should go well. TCO is probably higher than other systems, but then a lot of companies are moving to contract/subscription based pricing to stay in business. I was just as apprehensive before we installed our system. Get as much of the configuration and promises in writing as possible, and make sure you understand the limitations of the system, as well as what add-ons are required to make it do what your old key system was capable of doing.

Justin

Keep Offline OP
OP Offline
More good info. I wonder if folks are thinking this system is a lot larger then it actually will be.

Here is a quick breakdown of locations/# of extensions. 12/63

We have a total of 12 locations. The main location will house the equipment and PRI and has 19 total ext.

19,5,6,4,4,10,6,3,1,1,3,1 is the breakdown of the ext at each site. The largest remote is 10 and it sits on a 100mb shared fiber connection. All others on on T1 or better.

Thanks again for the info and keep it coming.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  5years&counting 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,810
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,377 Shoretel
189,078 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (nfcphoneman, mongo5150), 130 guests, and 422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024