web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I am preparing to install some additional phones on an Epygi 2X system. I need to check existing firmware, then if needed, upgrade the firmware on some Polycom IP 550 phones. Here is what I need to know.
1. How do I connect the phones on my network at my office to view the GUI?
2. How do I determine current firmware level?
3. How do I upgrade firmware if needed? Specifically what do I need in the way of FTP program etc.
4. This is new to me so I need step by step instructions if possible, or maybe a referral to where I can get such instructions. I have looked at the Polycom site but it is daunting to say the least.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

"To the victor, go the spoils"
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

(I know this is an old post, so apologies if it no longer is applicable)

You need to get ahold of the administration documentation for these phones. You can get it from Polycom on their public web site.

The web GUI is garbage on these (they are very easy to configure other ways however) - I highly recommend you use another method to manage the phone (I use XML config files via FTP). It's a pain to set up (particularly if you don't have a network server to use and a person who knows DHCP/TFTP/FTP very well). But it's the right way to do this. Once done, you literally just plug the phone into the network and it will automatically update itself - very slick, like you would expect in a good phone.

To upgrade the firmware, it will depend on how the phone is configured. The default method requires a specially configured DHCP server and an FTP server. This is well documented in the Polycom system administrator's manual.

That said, if you have a DHCP server on your network, and the phones are set to use DHCP, all you need to do to connect the phones and get to the GUI is to plug them into the network, find the IP address on the phone using it's keypad and display (Menu -- Status -- Network -- TCP/IP Parameters). Then open a browser to that IP (https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -- substitute the correct IP address). You'll get a login prompt - whoever configured them can get you username/password (or check the docs for the default).

I really don't like the web interface. It is unintuitive, hard to use, and you'll end up with phones that have different system settings on them (since there are literally thousands of settings on these phones) - so some will do weird things. Using the XML files, you can load multiple files - what I do is:

1. The phone loads the XML file that matches it's MAC address.
2. The phone parses that file and realizes it has to read an extension specific file and a company-wide configuration file. It reads both of these, with the extension-specific file taking precidence in conflicts.

That way, if I want to change every phone in the company, it's one setting.

If Epygi supports the Polycom phones, it should have a way of provisioning these phones automatically the right way - I'd contact them for help. Epygi should also suggest which firmware version to use - and I don't think I'd use a different version than is recommended (they've changed things like BLF in some of the firmware versions, the configuration file formats have changed, etc - so if the provisioning system you use doesn't support the new firmware, you'll have a mess). If they don't officially support them, you'll really want a server on your network that supports the DHCP option these phones will want and an FTP server to allow the phones to pull their configuration. But it's a bit tougher of a road to follow - but the docs are really good from Polycom.

Moderated by  hitechcomm 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,329 CTX100 install
187,093 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 128 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024