web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
When you place a testset on the trunk in monitor mode and grab a line wiht a keyset you hear a click but no tone. Anytime you try to draw tone wiht a testset at the trunk you can get tone with no problem. Voltage is good. All other keys on the keset work fine. In fact the line key seems to work fine it just doesn't get tone through the cabinet

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RCA Offline
I cant think of anything else to try at the moment. At this point I am out of ideas except swapping out the CPU and seeing what happens. As far as basic troubleshooting and the purpose of this board we are pretty much as far as we can go without being there and getting a feel of it.

Rhett
OP Offline
Well just in case anyone is still keeping score on this card, i struck out again on this issue. I changed out the CPU card and still had the same issue. The phone company came out& said all their stuff is working right (big surprise). I told them about the recording coming on when I got no dialtone and they put a digit grbber on the line which showed no digits being dailed out when this happens. I even changed the slot that the station card was in to see if it was the cabinet. Anyone else want to take a stab at this one?

Swapping the CPU card was a good test move as was frogging the station card to a new slot. Unfortunately it still doesn't preclude a backplane issue as your CPU card is still in the same slot.

If you have a good meter would you take some readings for me. Grab an on hook and off hook voltage reading, and more importantly a current draw (how many milliamps the circuit is drawing at the trunk) and a True RMS reading if your meter is capable. Some meters will say True RMS but it won't be readily apparent by the settings. You may have to read it with the meter set to AC. While metering the trunk go off hook and give me the True RMS reading of the dialtone. Also when you go off hook, watch the meter and when you first go off hook and tell me what you see. If the meter has a memory capability, get the high and low of the reading.

Next, you said you get a recording saying I think that the call cannot be completed as dialed. Go off-hook and wait until you get a recording. Note what the recording says. Then go off-hook and dial a single digit, then wait for the recording and note what it says. Do either of the recordings match the one you hear when you get "dead air?" If the recording you hear when you dial a single digit is the same as the one you hear when you have trouble try one more thing for me. Try dialing a 1+ number without using the 1+. Make sure the number you choose will not go through without dialing the 1+. You might want to use one of the ANI numbers but any long distance number will do. Now, the next time you have this happen (when you get the dead air after the phone goes to sleep), as soon as you get the dead air, try dialing the remaining 10 digits of your long distance number and see if it goes through. Even though the phone company didn't see digits with their equipment we want to assume that the switch has interpreted something as dialing the 1 for you.

Also, do you have access to an oscilloscope with memory?

------------------
[Linked Image from tracecarpenter.com] There are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary & those who don't.

OP Offline
OK, I think I have mose everything. I wasn't sure about some of it so I called an electrical engineer that works for the company and he brought a meter out and helped get the information. I took readings on a regular copper line, the adtran line, using the axxess and using a test set. Here are the readings:

Copperline with test set:
On hook 52
off hook 7.2
35.8 milliamps
86.5 rms

Adtran line with test set:
On hook 48.8
Off hook 6.5
27.5 milliamps
84 rms

coppper line with axxess:
On hook 51.9
off hook 6.75
35.84 milliamps
129.2 rms

adtran line with axxess:
on hook 48.8
off hook 6.0
27.6 milliamps
116.2 rms

His meter would not do memory but when i went off hook i could see the bar graph dip down almost to the bottom then jump around a lot before it leveled off. The digital readout wsn't fast enough to show the actual reading.

As for the scope, I don't have one but the engineer said he could borrow one, but it doesn't have a memory function. The VP told me I could rent whatever I needed if it would solve this problem tough. It's started causing some real issues as when the phones try to forward to the salesmen's cell phones the phone doesn't get tone for a dialout. Plus he is getting desperate. we've had everyone out here we can call. I don't know the first thing about using a scope but if you think you have an asnwer and can tell me what to do I'll go get one.

As for the recordings you were right. I got 2 different recordings. The one when I dialed a single digit was the same as the one we get when the phones crash. I was also able to finish dialing the long distance number when it crashed. I guess that means that a 1 is getting dialed, but it only happens through the axxess, and only when the phones crash. What would cause that? and even stranger, why didn't the phone companys digit grabber show it?

RCA Offline
flintstone
Do you have the database test and repair utility?

What are the the part numbers of your lsc cards? If you give me the part numbers i will look them up and see if they are the problem ones. You may have swapped the old ones with the same part numbers.

Rhett
RCA, take a look several posts up. He put the info regarding the LoopStart Cards. If you find anything on that please post it. I haven't come across that before.

Flintstone, your numbers look good. Don't spend any money renting a scope. I have an idea of what may be happening.

I believe the reason the phone company didn't see anything on their digit grabber is most likely that they were probably monitoring from the demarc between your IAD and your cabinet and there are no digits at that point. In fact there aren't any real digits being executed. What we have is what the IAD is interpreting as a digit being sent to the switch.

Log into your IAD and look at the Line Resistance. This setting is what the adtran expects to see to determine the difference in an on hook and off hook existance. It's usually used for when lines are going to run a very long distance, much like the hybrid settings we would adjust in the Axxess. This setting can also change what the system expects to see in capacitance. What we want to do is add some capacitance.

Take a look and see what it is set to. If the settings are the same as the ones that I just checked out it will probably be set to a default of 600 Ohms. If so see if you have a setting of 600 Ohms + 2.16 microfareds. Set it to that and try it for a while and see if it makes a difference.

------------------
[Linked Image from tracecarpenter.com] There are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary & those who don't.

RCA Offline
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MacGyver:
RCA, take a look several posts up. He put the info regarding the LoopStart Cards. If you find anything on that please post it. I haven't come across that before.
</font>

This thread is getting so long i was to lazy to re-read it, thanks for pointing out the numbers.

Back in 1999 or around there, maybe even earlier, there was a batch of lsc cards that would lock up. Being that he has version 5.118 or 119 he most likely has newer cards unless this was an upgrade. It will take me some time to find this info and hope to post back this weekend.

Rhett
Yeah it is getting kind of long. I finished an entire cup of coffee reading it for the first time before I posted a few days back.

I read what you had said about the older LSC cards and found it very interesting. I hadn't heard about those so I called a few people I know from Inter-Tel who didn't know about it either. I guess it must have been before their time. I'd love to find out which cards those are for future reference.

Apparently according to his post, both of the LSC cards he used had the same number on them, so if that's the issue he most likely frogged the card with another one of the same model.

------------------

OP Offline
I dont' have admin rights to that box, but the VP made a call and it's getting done. I'll let you know what happens.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Stix1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,296
Posts638,851
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,659 Shoretel
189,557 CTX100 install
187,829 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 195 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024