web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
akdubs Offline OP
OP Offline
As a long time lurker, first time poster I would first like to say thanks to everyone on this board, you have saved my hide countless times! I apologize if this has been covered in other posts, I have searched all week and haven't found anything that has worked for me yet.

I have been tasked by my employer to setup call logging at our main office. We have an NEC NEAX 2000 IPS. I have gone through both the command manual and the Feature Programming Manual, following the instructions for setting up SMDR over IP from the latter to the T but I still get no SMDR data output.

I can connect to tcp port 60010 of our PBX but never receive any data. If I telnet to that port and hit enter, I receive 3000030055 back in response. I have tried several CAS packages and data loggers to no avail.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would greatly appreciate any help!

Edit: Forgot to mention, this would be using the MP built-in SMDR

Last edited by akdubs; 12/28/12 12:25 PM.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Mitel, NEC, Vodavi
Were you using serial SMDR & trying to change to IP SMDR? Or is this the first time you have turned on SMDR?

akdubs Offline OP
OP Offline
This is the first time we have turned this feature on. I have to use IP as we do not have any systems within easy reach to use a serial connection.

Please complete your profile & you may get a little more assistance.

akdubs Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the tip, completed as advised. grin

SMDR can be a touchy process. My first advice would be to walk step by step through the Feature Programming Manual. If you're not sure about a setting, look it up in the command manual.

you may want to establish physical SMDR to a serial printer or terminal emulator first, then try sending the SMDR over IP to a remote location.

One point that is not clear in your post is where exactly you are trying to send the SMDR. When I've used the SMDR/IP feature, it was to send from networked PBXes to a "Hub" PBX which then recorded or printed out the SMDR. At some point the data has to hit a serial port for printing or analysis as serial data.

I usually use Hyperterminal to view the IP or serial call records to verify the pbx is putting out the data.

D

akdubs Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am currently trying to send the SMDR data to one of our database servers that handles employee timeclock data. My hope is that I'll be able to parse out the SMDR data and dump it into our timekeeping database so payroll can track phone usage (we currently are having issues with employees staying late and simply talking on the phone all night). Management would like some data to look at and possibly make employee 'corrections' as they see fit.

I went through the Feature Programming Manual and set up SMDR to go out the serial port and moved a server near our phone system. I hooked up the 9pin cable we received with our phone system but do not see any data coming through in minicom. I set the serial port on the computer up as 9600 8N1 with no flow control (actually, I tried both hardware and software control just to be sure). I verified the speed/parity/data/stop bits settings in MATworx and they match how I setup the terminal's serial port.

I don't have any printers that I'd be able to hook up to our pbx so I can't try that.

Ideally I would like to be able to read this data through IP, but would settle for getting it through the serial port. Right now, I'd just like to see some SMDR data. grin

Happy New Year!!

Okay... First, the cable. You should be using a cable with a "Honda" connector on one end and a 25-pin serial on the other. This will be an NEC-made cable with a label "RS NORM-4S CA-A." That'll come out to a 25-pin RS232, and you'll need a 25-9 adapter. That goes onto the serial port of the PC where you've got Minicom listening.

Now, the "Honda" end (the square plug end of the cable) goes onto one of the two connectors on the MP card. There's only one way that it'll go on, but be gentle not to bend pins.

Also -- there are some restrictions on the serial ports of the MP card. You'll need to review them in the circuit card manual, but, for example, if you're using the built-in modem in command 410, that takes up one serial port. And so on.

Assuming that you're using a proper cable and that you're connected to the MP card, I'm betting that you're on the port that's blocked by the built-in modem. If no ports are available on the MP, you'll need to add an AP00 card.

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,381 Shoretel
189,088 CTX100 install
187,414 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 123 guests, and 423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024