Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#544552 01/29/13 03:02 PM
jkabush Offline OP
OP Offline
I do apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I was wondering if someone could provide me some feed back on an NEC 8100 system.

Here is my situation. I work for a school district and our phone system is slowly dieing so we want to update it.

After getting a couple of quotes, I've got two systems that we are interested in.

NEC 8100 or Nortel BCM 450.

After talking to one of my sales reps, he telling me to stay away from NEC 8100 because it will cause a lot of issues for me. I am concern about the BCM since they will only give me a one year warranty but on the NEC they are willing to provide a five year warranty.

I was wondering if someone could provide me some honest feed back on both systems. Money is an issue for our District, so these two bids came within budget.

Thanks for your help.

James

Phone System
single choice
Nortel BCM 450 (0%, 0 Votes)
NEC SV8100 (100%, 9 Votes)
Total Votes: 9
Voting on this poll ends: 01/30/13 12:00 PM
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I'm not sure why your sales rep would advise you to stay away from the NEC system - the SL1100 is a scaled down version of the Univerge system. I've installed several of these systems and have not been dissapointed with any of the functionality. Although I was a Nortel shop for years, the BCM is actually no longer Nortel since they went out of business and the future of the BCM chassis is shaky with Avaya looking to incorporate all of Nortel's technology into their systems rather than the other way around. Avaya already discontinued the Norstar system 3 years ago.

www.highspeedtele.com
Dallas & Fort Worth, TX
Admin
Admin
I would check around about the dealers. Both phone systems will work well if installed and maintained properly. Ask both dealers for references and call them.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
What is your configuration and are you looking for any particular features? The NEC SV8100 line is quite good. In fact I have yet to see a system match it's price point, reliability and capabilities (at it's price). Besides, NEC isn't going anywhere and they are huge in the telecom industry and financially sound. I am surprised someone would say that about NEC.

You cannot go wrong with NEC!!

We get old too soon, smart too late
jkabush Offline OP
OP Offline
This is what I got as a bid

19" Blade Base IP Chassis
1 - 8 port LS Blade
1 - 4 port LS Blade
1 - 8 Port Digital Blade
1 - 16 Port Digital Blade
5 - 4 Port Analog Blades
4 - 4 Port Analog daughter boards
12- 12 Button Phones (digital)
6 - 6 Button Phones (digital)
1 - 4 Port SV InMail voice mail
5 - Free Analog Handset
Also all hardware and phones come with a 5 year warranty (no maintenance agreement required)

All this for around $17500

Moderator-Mitel, NEC, Vodavi
Please complete your profile. Thank you.

jkabush Offline OP
OP Offline
I met with a Mitel rep yesterday and again he told me the NEC system SV8100 was a lower end system that will cause me nothing but problems.

I don't think we could do a Mitel system since they are about 15,000 more than the NEC system. I know this is the wrong forum for this however is Mitel really worth it?

I want to thank everyone for the help, with the limited amount in the budget I want to make sure we pick the right system.

James

Depends what you are looking for. If you have researched the installing company and both are comparable you will have a hard time justifying 15 grand. I am assuming Mitel did not offer 5 year part warranty? If Nec were bad we wouldn't be using them and surely they wouldn't offer 5 year parts.

On the SV8100, look into Desktop & Shared services. Ask for a Demo. It will give you insight that you have never had before. It does use an additional PC, but the requirements are minimal.
Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,635 Shoretel
189,520 CTX100 install
187,778 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024