web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
For the fire panel to be UL listed and in compliance with NFPA 70, there MUST be two telephone lines not shared or connected to anything else and not "jacked" in any way to the fire panel. I went through this exact same thing a year ago with a school. They got a brandy new Silent Knight fire panel and the alarm installers just left the telephone line connection to "the phone guys." Trying to be thorough, I contacted the AHJ, which turned out to be the fire chief, and he gave me chapter and verse of how the telephone lines had to be connected.

The problem, today, is that there is no one single entity that is responsible to make sure the job is done correctly. When I go to a new site, I poke around for hours, testing blocks for dial tone or data noise and making a complete list and diagram of the serving equipment. Then I sit down with the owner or customer and go over my findings. This usually ends up with me and the person responsible with paying the bills and, almost every time, I find POTS lines being paid for and not connected to anything. I once found a working T-1 with NO CPE terminated!

Everyone, including me, is in a hurry to "complete." BUT, to be responsible and a good technician, we must take the time to thoroughly investigate and document a site before calling the job done. Doing less is irresponsible and can lead to tragedy. Leaving alarm panels without communication to monitoring services can be viewed as criminal in some instances. If you get into a legal situation with a liability claim, you better believe a lawyer will look at "the last" responsible technical person to throw blame on if the problem was not identified and brought to proper correction.

Bottom line is spend the time and do a thorough "look up" and document everything. It might save your posterior some day.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

An RJ31X is required by tariff. It will not have any deleterious effect on an alarm system that is installed correctly. It simply allows the customer to do his own test of the alarm dialer and phone line to determine where a fault is, so it can be reported to the proper vendor.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Datacomm technicians install telephones, data and pbx and at one time did structured cable wiring. They weren't allowed on the network side.

Forty six years and still fascinated with Telecommunications!
I've never heard of the phone lines having to be hard wired into the fire or burglar alarm panel...they normally provide cords and RJ31X jacks when you buy the panel. I would prefer if they left the RJ31X in the panel instead of outside where someone could mess with it, though.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
I bet every state is different with local ordinances really different.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Originally Posted by jeffmoss26
...I would prefer if they left the RJ31X in the panel instead of outside where someone could mess with it, though.

I'm of the opposite opinion. Sometimes the panel door is equipped with a tamper switch, so when opened, all hell breaks loose.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Yeah, I had that happen once...it was rather embarrassing!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
I install my own RJ31X because the Verizon techs are not trained to understand what that means.

Be careful when working around or testing an RJ31X provided / installed by ADT. They have such a big customer base that it allows them to purchase hundreds of thousands of RJ31X jacks. They have convinced their supplier, because of the huge numbers that they buy, to create jacks with a different (opposite) color code from the "official" ones.

Instead of the dial tone coming in on the red/green pair, it goes OUT on the red/green. This can cause much confusion if you are not aware of it. They do it for no other reason than to mess with the competition.

Arthur P. Bloom

"For the fire panel to be UL listed and in compliance with NFPA 70, there MUST be two telephone lines not shared or connected to anything else and not "jacked" in any way to the fire panel."

Almost correct. Jacks are allowed, and only one of the two lines needs to be dedicated to the panel. The other one can be shared.

Arthur P. Bloom

I try and stay away from anything done by ADT/Tyco. Most of their stuff is proprietary (read: because they can)

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,380 Shoretel
189,087 CTX100 install
187,412 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 113 guests, and 434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024