web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#559296 10/04/13 02:44 PM
OP Offline
We have two sites (siteA and siteB) connected via a VPN. We use a Netlink to connect the PBXs across the VPN. Everything worked fine for many months and then we began having significant trouble with one of the systems (siteB) resetting multiple times per day. We have our vendor looking into it with NTAC, but it's been two weeks and they haven't been able to come up with anything significant (I've done many packet captures, changed a setting here and there, etc). We are getting pretty frustrated with the situation and we're wondering - has anyone else had this kind of trouble? What can we look at? I did a search for "netlink" and found some people that had similar trouble, but there weren't really any resolutions suggested.

Additionally, does anyone know of another forum that has some good NEC resources? This and TekTips is about all I've seen.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Mitel, NEC, Vodavi
Moderator-Mitel, NEC, Vodavi
You are more likely to receive assistance with a complete profile.

You need to setup your profile AND I would start a ping trace going across the network constantly. Normally the ONLY reason, besides power, that causes the site to reset are latency, packet loss and/or IP conflicts on said network. Also, is your VPN on an MPLS network or is it over the internet?

We had the exact same issue on a 5-site system using Cygnilink (the UX5000 flavor of Netlink).

One of the sites would reset randomly (1-2 times per day) and we could not figure out why.

In the end, we found the the customer had added a WiFi deivce at the site - and assigned it the same IP address as the PBX........

I would certainly check for an IP conflict first!

OP Offline
I added some stuff, sorry laugh

OP Offline
Our VPN is over the internet. I've ran tests with PingPlotter for over an hour and I only see a few packets here and there lost, maybe on the order of 2/1000. I know that voice traffic is much more sensitive to loss, but something that no one has answered for me yet is whether the handshake behaves the same as voice traffic.

IP address conflict was brought up early on, I turned the system off, unplugged it, and then pinged it's IP address and I got no response, so I'm pretty sure that isn't related.

Last edited by cor_tech; 10/07/13 05:02 PM.
I had an issue last week (another system) where they didn't have the DHCP scope correct and someone was walking in every few days (sales guy) and his Android phone was talking an IP designated for the phone system. You need to run that ping plotter until it happens. Also, running over the internet means you have ZERO QOS control of that VPN. All bets are pretty much off on a setup like that. You've been fortunate that you have "many months" of it working well before this.

What Coral Tech said, going over the internet is a crap shoot. Look into a MPLS

We get old too soon, smart too late
There are many things are cause this your problem

- for severe network loss
- for slow response time networks
- mixture of severe/slow

I suggest you to make below changes on every system

All of the systems should be upgraded to R9 as a first step.
Then while keeping stand alone,
PRG 51-05-02 should be changed to 30s on each site.
PRG 99-03-23 should be changed (to 2 (500ms), this PRG item is only available via keyset
programming)
99-01-70 set to 1 (only available via keyset programming).
Once changes made the systems can be allowed to reconnect back to the primary.

NEC Business Partner
Certified on SV8100,SV8500,SL1000

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,290
Posts638,801
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,374 Shoretel
189,057 CTX100 install
187,410 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
dans 3
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (JBean3329), 107 guests, and 416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024