web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Setting up a CIX 100 that will have remote IP phones and Stratanet to a CIX 40. I'm confussed on how to set this up since the IPU needs a external static IP address for the remote phones and I need to also put the IPU on network for Stratanet. How do I do this with one static IP ???

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Either you will need another IPU in the CIX100 or you can set up a VPN between the 100 and the 40.

OP Offline
So in order to do remote phones and Stratanet I will need 2 IPU's ??

To better answer your question can you explain the network topology?

Are the sites with Stratanet connected via a WAN or VPN? What type of circuit?

Do remote users have access to the LAN on either site via a hardware based or software based VPN?

Is this a new design/sale or an addition to an already existing system?

While Toshiba IP phones can operate behind NAT, the xIPU card cannot. This is, potentially, your hurdle and depending on the above determines how many xIPU cards are needed.

You MIGHT be able to give the MIPU card a static public IP and pull this off. We have an account where we use 1 MIPU card and they have internal IP phones and external IP phones and, with everything registered to the MIPU, all works. I believe that for this to work BOTH MIPU cards on either side will need a public static IP so the SN can work. The IPTs will probably be behind some type of firewall but they should be able to register to the public IP of the MIPU from behind NAT.

This should work but ignores all network security so it is not recommended. Not to say it isn't done, just not advised.

IF this is a new sale/design and no contracts have been signed, you should take a good look at the IPEdge which is designed to sit behind a firewall and benefit from the protection. You still need a public static IP which you define in the IP Edge server which is then able to perform NAT traversal. We have utilized this and, compared to the CIX it is a much easier implementation and far more secure. ~ Mike

Michael Meyer
We have a couple customers with qsig and external ip phones connected with 1 Mipu card with public ip addresses on each side.

an mipu with a public static used for qsig is no less secure than one with a public static used for ip phones only.

the mipu is a dead end to hackers either way, they can not route through to the phone system admin or the customers network

I do agree with meyery2k, the ipedge with nat works realy nice .

PBX Battery backup systems

www.telcom1.net
I think a lot would depend on the configuration. I have also created a QSIG connection between 2 sites with a public IP on each site. I have also had an MIPU for voicemail, so I had the IT guy create a VPN tunnel from the users house to the company location. This worked out well becasue the user also had access to the phone system Toshiba Call Manager, plus work files on the server.

Using 1 MIPU you can either have MIPU on the public side as long as the other site is also public, or keep it on the private side and have IT create a VPN tunnel to the remote phone. Even if you have internal IP phones they can usually still connect to the MIPU with a public IP address. I would not recommend using an MIPU with a public IP address and IP voicemail ports.

I would also point out, as mentioned, that Toshiba does recommend a firewall in front of an MIPU with a Public IP appearance, but also mentioned, it will not be a source of an intrusion to the internal network.

OP Offline
Toshiba told me I could do it with one IPU and no VPN needed ? I hope there right

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,290
Posts638,801
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,374 Shoretel
189,057 CTX100 install
187,410 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 3
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024