web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ever hear of Tumidor? I happen to have one which was liberated from Bell Telephone. This provides exactly 1 KHz at 0 db. It has a +10 db switch on it. Cable repair techs used these on spans several miles long. You can, quite literally, hear the tone with the probe two feet away.

Bell guys here used to call that "the leather set" I guess because it had a leather case and carrying strap. Yup, you could use it to locate wiring in walls just by waving your probe around.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

LOL....talk about it and I need it today. I have a 500 pair PIC cable with pairs in trouble. Another contractor was there and gave up saying: "It's impossible to trace these pairs. The shielding makes it impossible."

I have no concern, at all, that I will fix this trouble in a matter of minutes with my trusty old Tumidor.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally Posted by Rcaman
LOL....talk about it and I need it today. I have a 500 pair PIC cable with pairs in trouble. Another contractor was there and gave up saying: "It's impossible to trace these pairs. The shielding makes it impossible."

I have no concern, at all, that I will fix this trouble in a matter of minutes with my trusty old Tumidor.

Rcaman

We need to talk about those 60 phone quotes we have out there so they happen 2thumbs

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Originally Posted by Rcaman

Rcaman

Now there's your first sign of dealing with a BS artist previous contractor. There's no such thing as a 500 pair cable. It goes from 400 to 600, then 900 and continues upward from there in 300 pair multiples up to 4,200 pair. Sounds like he was already disqualified from that kind of a project by not having the practical knowledge of cable construction and design from the get-go.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
My dearly beloved Ed, and fellow mod, this is a mine cable and, yes, the mine cables do, indeed, have 500 pair cables. In fact, they have 550, 600, 700 and 800 pair cables which have triple shielding. I guess I should have been more specific. These cables are MSHA approved and can only be acquired from Anxiter. They also have 2 strain cables under the insulation that are 5/8" EHS. These cables were intended to be used, primarily for mine phones (GAI Tronics) and dropped down a bore hole to the mine lateral. Except for the weird pair counts and extra shielding and strength wires, they look and connect like regular PIC cables.

In this case, the mine being the mine, they used this cable above ground as a feed from the bathhouse (where the PBX is located) to the fan sites. The cable starts out in conduit, emerges to go aerial and then down into manholes and conduit. The pairs in trouble were in the transition piece between the conduit and pole structures. As I anticipated, the problem pairs were isolated and identified within a half hour of my arrival. I didn't need my Tumidor. If the previous contractor would have "LOOKED" at the transition, he would have seen the huge rip in the cable sheath caused by a big loader brushing against the pole.

Two splice cases later and about 4 hours and the problem was resolved.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Admin
Admin
Do you have a picture of your Tumidor?

[Linked Image]
So...whatever happened to the OP and his toning/tracing job?

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

He read the entire thread, and his head exploded. Zatomic

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,809
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,377 Shoretel
189,074 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (nortelvoip, Toner, justbill), 117 guests, and 388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024