Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DJG #614409 11/27/17 08:31 PM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
FGA shocked I remember those old analog lines from my days at Allnet Communication Services. Our access telephone number was (617) 357-5420. Then along came FGB and FGD. The A's were dropped later on. When Global Crossing went with VoIP switches, the FGB trunks were disconnected and it was FGD from there on out.

I Love FEATURE 00
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

DJG #614428 11/28/17 04:09 PM
Verizon (business) contacted a customer of mine with the same story. They took the opportunity to switch to the cable company instead thereby cutting off Verizon altogether. That cable cutover was one of the longest I've ever done. The end result Verizon lost everything, customer is happy and saves a little bit of money.

I've also had a couple customers fall for Verizon (business) without contacting us. When we get involved and mention their alarm, the whole thing gets cancelled and whatever channel bank they installed gets left behind.

DJG #614442 11/29/17 12:38 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I've had Verizon Business even go as far as to have the customer's service ride on the cable company's facilities instead. Verizon Business isn't Verizon, they are a CLEC and nothing else. Just as shady as they come.

I actually feel sorry for the real Verizon, with such a sleazy example of a stepchild.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
DJG #616092 02/01/18 12:50 PM
DJG Offline OP
OP Offline
I see the new scam from Verizon is they send you an email, IMPORTANT INFORMATION, We recently received a request to connect new Verizon service(s) at your current location, Are you moving? If you're moving and need to disconnect your service(s) or request new service(s) at your new location, please call us at 1.866. VZMoves ( 1.866.896.6837), Monday to Friday 8AM-5PM. You may also visit us at verizon.com, to place your order for new service(s). Your timing is right; we have some great promotional offers that you may qualify for in your new location. If you aren't moving, please call us at the number listed above to clarify this recent request and avoid any interruptions to your service(s). Thanks for choosing Verizon After scaring the hell out of people, that think someone else has got their information and is ordering stuff, They calm you down, and tell you about this great package they can give you, and save you a lot of money ??? There has to be a law against this, especially when they target old people ????

Voice/Data & Cable Contractors, Avaya/Lucent, Nortel and Panasonic Serving Central Fl
DJG #624028 09/29/18 10:31 PM
Verizon is now notifying POTS accounts that copper phaseout is in progress and (I forget the date) end of 2018 all copper POTS support will be discontinued. I used to manage telcom services for the local Fire Dept where there are 22 POTS circuits involved with various dispatch and call taking services.

My Son now holds my position and has been in contact with Verizon Engineering and it is in fact true that POTS is going away in the 516 area code real soon. They tell him they will install 2 fiber terminals to convert Fios to POTS in their building and will phase the cutover to prevent any down time in public access to FD Dispatch.

I know most or all will say why not a PRI, It's because of the FD requirement for dual redundant phone systems for dispatch and some external caller ID boxes that drive the CAD system. They currently have IP office as the primary system and a Comdial as a backup. Both are bridged on the POTS lines as are the Caller ID boxes so the PRI is a no go.

Anyone have any thoughts on the "Terminals" they are going to install, are they POTS reliable ? What do you guys think ??

Arthur Bloom used to have great insight on all things relating to Public Safety but I have not seen him here in a while.

DJG #624031 09/30/18 08:01 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I have FIOS at home and have it running on a 1A2 system. It required some minor tweaks to run (mostly changing line cards because of the ringing voltage), but then i was a very early adapter. Verizon may have resolved the issues I had.

It works very well and is very reliable. Service (VERY rarely required) is fast and good (at least in Brooklyn). My only advice is TEST, TEST, TEST.

I had/have an oddball issue where a Tone dial pad (that works fine on ICM) sporadically does not work on the FIOS DT. I was pretty sure it was a bad DTMF Tone Receiver at the CO. Now I'm not sure; it may be a (partial) incompatibility.

Test all stations, all features and all configurations. it's the Fire House for heaven's sake! If there's something not working, make sure they fix it!

I wonder what the Regulatory Agencies are going to do. They usually require POTS lines for Fire Alarms, Elevators and the like.

Good luck.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
DJG #624034 09/30/18 10:31 AM
Yes Sam, I to have Fios at home and it has been as reiable as POTS delivered on copper. I am still wondering about the "Terminals" they are going to install at the FD to provide service, Hope they are as trouble free as the Fios ONT I have at home.

They are aware that they must provide reliable power to the terminals and can do this via the large UPS that powers the Dispatch Equipment with backup generator to keep it going.

On the power side the FD can do better than Verizon who after Sandy let the Battery's in their remote concentraters go dead so 8 hours after the electric failed the phone service failed. It took them 3 days to fix it and the FD had to rely on the 2 lines that still worked, it later turns out that the 2 lines were Copper POTS direct from the CO.

A complaint to the PSC got all the important lines moved to direct copper by 1 unhappy Verizon but at least it worked

It's not my job anymore but I still feel uneasy about it

FdTech #624095 10/02/18 02:54 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I feel your pain. I did a lot of Hospital work in my time - they also had a tremendous need for “no-fail” circuits. I also was the foreman at the NYC FD headquarters when they moved to downtown Brooklyn in....’82 maybe. Fun job. Nice people.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,781
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,755 Shoretel
188,942 CTX100 install
187,190 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024