web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
This might be a simple question, but I don't know the answer. Can you use a buttset on a definity port? If not... then what can you use for testing or communication besides an actual handset? Maybe I'm confused...

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

if its a analog port, it shouldnt be a problem...

if its a digital port, just wire up a jack at the mainframe to the port...

NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

OP Offline
Listen up pal, I didn't ask for your opinion on its difficulty, otherwise I wouldn't have asked a question, so pipe down.

I'm talking about when you're out in the field and you want to check a digital jack with your buttset, let's say to make an intercom call -- how do you do that, as it's a digital port.

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Specialized Products or one of the other Telecom catalogs carries an in-line adapter for your test set so you access digital ports. Not sure which systems in works on, or if you have to buy a special adapter for each one. It might even be for digital circuits, I just can't remember and I don't have a catalog handy.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
I believe it is an adaptor for Nortel Meridian phones. It goes inline with your butt set cord and has a switch to change between analog and digital. I dont know whether it works for Definity systems, though.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
I don't know of a way to pull dialtone, but I often use the polarity lights on my butt-set or toner to test for the -48vdc from the digital ports. Quick test to see if a jack is cross connected back to the switch.

Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
For me---I have to carry along a phone and a line cord to test digital jacks---or I have an adapter that fits on the pins and then I plug in the digital phone. But that's me.
Tom--my top technician---can find out all sorts of stuff with a butt-set. He mainly "just knows" what the sounds mean. After 20 years of doing this I guess he must have learned something.
I sit here in the office on the computer and can see how the switch is programmed....but he can be there and tell me if a digital port is bad---or if the pins are a bit goofy, or whatever. I'm always amazed at how good ---good techs are. And the good ones always do things with a butt-set that really set them apart from the so-so ones.
That's why I like this board. Some real good techs are trying to help some of the new guys---handing down some of the "tricks" so that life becomes a bit easier.

OP Offline
Thanks for the replies. Looks like there's no real way to pull an intercom dialtone then... that sucks. Jeffmoss is on the money with the P adapter being a nortel product/pbx. No good for definity switches. Are the AT&T ISDN phones that work on the definity actually ISDN? If so, would an ISDN buttset work?

I'm just looking for a way to be able to pull an intercom dialtone from any jack in case I wanted to dial some extensions, or do whatever at a jack with no phone present.

Any good Definity websites to check out for tips/tricks?

the isdn phones are true isdn, but you would also need isdn circuit packs in the definity.

To my knowledge, there is not a digital buttinski that will work with the digital ports, as a "talkset", and then you can be dealing with either two wire or 4 wire depending on the type of circuit pack.

OP Offline
I'm going to try and gut a smaller digital phone for a definity and see what I can do. If nothing else, I'll try and make a buttset out of it.

Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,290
Posts638,801
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,374 Shoretel
189,058 CTX100 install
187,410 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 3
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 88 guests, and 421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024