Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hi,

Looking for some experienced help on this issue. In the middle of our workday, we noticed that the Auto Attendant was not answering the phones and that all extensions had their "Message" LED illuminated. Dialing Intercom 777 gave me a busy tone. So, I open the system case and saw that all modules (3) had a steady green LED. I powered the system off, re-seated the 3 modules that are installed and turned the power back on. Now the Mail VS R5.0 module LED is flashing red at a steady rate, and all extensions "Message" LED are now off. We can not access Intercom 777, auto attendant does not work and mailboxes can not be checked. Basically, it seems all functions associated with the VS module are gone. My guess is the VS module is dead.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problem?? Can I do any board level repairs for common part failures?? I kind of think the recent heat my have had something to do with it, the system is exposed to temps as high as 88-90F.

Thanks

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Sounds like the hard drive bit the dust.

But you can replace just the hard drive.

R.5's are famus for that.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
OP Offline
Thanks for the info, is there any specifics I should be looking for in a hard drive? Such as how many gigs or a manufacture that is compatible with the VS module??

Can I do any board level repairs for common part failures??

I don't speak for the others here but I would never advocate any kind of repair that would involve opening the case.

I have heard cases where people have tried replaced the hard drive with varying degrees of success. I have swapped power supplies many times only to find that it was only a part of the problem... the mod was still garbage.

But that's not really what we are here for. If there is a failure our job is to replace the mod and that sounds like what you are going to have to do.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
I don't mind replacing the entire module. I have opened it before and noticed that the PCB is in bad condition, it became a bit too hot in certain areas...but I really don't look forward to reprogramming the system. I get so confused when I have to administer the system, I am the guy that is in charge of it, but I definitely don't have much experience with these systems.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Changing out the HD isn't complicated.

And like I said the R.5's were noted for this issue. I have switched out many with 100% success. We only fix them for equip or customers we have sold to.

There is a repair forum on this site that i'm sure would be glad to help.

www.regal-comm.com
OP Offline
Michael, does the R5.0 have any hard drive specification requirements?? Swapping in a new HD would probably be a freebie fix since I have a few extra HDs. Does the HD need to be formatted??

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
You can get drive kits here, https://www.nyteldirect.com/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=311 And they are very easy to replace and ready to go.
Good luck

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Yes, you would be better off to get one from where dtmf said.

Would make it much easier on you.

www.regal-comm.com
OP Offline
Thanks everyone, the help is much appreciated. I will attempt to repair the module.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,781
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,755 Shoretel
188,948 CTX100 install
187,190 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 87 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024