web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
What happens when you put an SLT on it or butt set instead of the digital set?

Retired phone dude
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Dave80 Offline OP
OP Offline
I missed justbill's reply before sending my last response. I will definitely try the circuit breaker suggestion hopefully that will at least narrow things down. Thanks guys. Dave

Since you cant easily run a new cable

why dont you swap the pairs on your existing cables and see if you can get 4 good wires out of each

If you have a cat5 cable tester test the cable
make sure theres no power on it from ACS
maybe you can find the 4 wires you need

Dave80 Offline OP
OP Offline
I do have a butt set and the hum is still there.
One other thing, before I installed the ACS I originally install a multi-phone stand alone system and that did not have this buzz problem. I have put back this phone and I do not her the buzz. If it is there it is very muted.

Dave80 Offline OP
OP Offline
KENB, I have tried all 16 wires in various configuration, same problem. When you say test cables make sure there's no power on it from the ACS. I'm a little confused because all
four(both pairs)cables have 48 volts on them. isn't this normal.

OK so now if I'm hearing you right the buzz is only there if the CO line is going through the partner system. Is that correct? If you run the CO line to the same jack but not through the partner there is no noise?

Retired phone dude
Dave80 Offline OP
OP Offline
justbill, no I connected the wires to my punch block which is connected to the ACS.

Yes, you are going to see voltage on the T/R pair (w/bl) and the power/data pair (w/or). Don't remember if it's 48 volts but it's about right.

I would like to see you check with a cable tester, something like the Siemens that will check for shorts, opens and crosses. Not going to find a ground though.

I asked you before exactly how you have the 4pr cable connected to the ACS port. Did you just press on a 6 position plug on two pairs? I'm going to assume you did and would hope that the two center pins, 3&4 have the w/bl pair on them and pins 2&5 have the w/or pair on them.

You said you checked with a butt set. If my assumption above is correct then you are saying that you connected your butt set to the w/bl pair and heard the hum with a dial tone?

What I want you to do now is cut or disconnect the w/or pair on the plug back at the ACS port and listen on the w/bl at the other end with your butt set as you did before. What happens?

Oh, I should point out, DON'T cut the w/or with the plug connected to the port. When this pair is shorted power on it is interrupted and you will have to reset the system (turn it off then back on) to reset the port. This will have no effect on your butt set or a single line phone but a system phone will not operate.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Dave80 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hal, I'm not on site at this time, but I have been working on this problem for hours and hours and I believe I tried your suggestions. I did notice early on in my troubleshooting that as soon as I connected the power wires(orange) without any phone co wires(blue), the hum was already there. I Picked up the receiver and listened after pushing a button and the hum was there loud and clear. What do you think?

I think you have a cross somewhere between the w/bl and w/or. Confirm by disconnecting the w/or at the ACS.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,607 Shoretel
189,490 CTX100 install
187,699 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024