Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#82355 12/07/06 08:02 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
The only thing that I can venture to say when calling Verizon out is to expain that you are getting multiple voltages on the lines. Hope that you reach a repair department clerk who cares enough to take the order. If they dispatch a technician and you are able to show them the readings, you might get lucky. This will also be dependant upon getting a Verizon technician who isn't quick with finger-pointing.

I still don't like the 7-8 volts, tip to ground. That is high. That alone should spark the interest of the Verizon tech.

Still, since there's no particular pattern on the IPO's line appearances, Hal may be right. A system shouldn't be that sensitive to fluctuations in line voltages; certainly not the voltages you have mentioned.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

#82356 12/07/06 08:34 AM
FdTech Offline OP
OP Offline
Hal, the vendor is DJJ who did a great job on the install and has been very good in dealing with this problem. Since they had never seen it happen before and could find no reason for it they opened a ticket with Avaya who after looking at the config and system logs says it's a POTS problem contact the phone company. The want the Verizon tech to call them when on site, like that will ever happen.

Ed, I agree that the system should not be that sensitive but if it is the lines you should be able to see the voltage change or hear something when monitoring the line.

Will keep you posted, Any other ideas would be welcome till it's resolved

Thanks

#82357 12/07/06 10:08 AM
As a test - in Lines/analog options - I would change Trunk Type to Loop Start (from default Loop ICLID) and change Echo Cancellation Delay to OFF (especially if you're not using IP phones or IP trunks). You'll lose Caller ID during the test. I believe that this change will require a reboot - not just merge.
Mike

#82358 12/07/06 04:28 PM
FdTech Offline OP
OP Offline
That's a good idea as a test but I need the caller ID it's one of the reasons we replaced the Comdial. We used to have external caller ID boxes but they are gone now. We are also going to set up some call routing that will need the ID.

Still waiting for Avaya to tell us what they think is wrong with the lines so we can relay it to Verizon.

I hate it when it becomes a finger pointing match.

#82359 12/07/06 10:26 PM
Okay, this is a bit of a stupid question, but it's worth checking... Is the system properly grounded?

In addition, do you have a ground from cabinet/KSU to the MPOE ground?

Ground problems can cause all manner of GSW (General System Weirdness), especially with COs.

#82360 12/07/06 11:42 PM
So turn the Caller ID off for ten minutes - if the trunks are essentially not working anyway, what would it hurt?
Mike

#82361 12/08/06 01:45 AM
FdTech Offline OP
OP Offline
The system processor and all expansion modules are grounded to the equipment room ground bus that is tied to the building electical system as well as multiple ground rods. The entire building has all metal bonded, we have never had a grounding problem. The system does the same thing with or without ground.

No question, I can turn the CID off for testing, the problem does not effect system operation except for the duration of the "Pre Ring" that is always less than 3 seconds. As long as the line apearance light is not lit the line functions normaly.

Will be back there on Monday and will try turning it off.

Thanks

#82362 12/12/06 07:51 AM
FdTech Offline OP
OP Offline
I set the Lines to Loop Start and the "Pre Ring" Indication goes away but it also disables the Caller ID.

Guess I can live without Caller Id for a short time while I wait for Avaya's answer as to what causes the problem.

Thanks to all for your replys, any other ideas?

#82363 12/20/06 04:08 PM
I have a few questions for you about the time.
You have said the between 6:00 am and 6:00pm you are getting the "PRE RING" on your sets. What happens after 6:00 pm and before 6:00am? does everything work correctly?

Does this voltage issue continue past 6:00 pm?
Do you know if these line are comming in over AFC? (or can you find this out)
Let me know if they are running that terminal with fiber & AFC.

#82364 12/20/06 04:22 PM
FdTech Offline OP
OP Offline
I originaly thought it was time related but have since seen it happen at all hours.

By AFC do you mean a terminal that is remote from the CO and provides POTS service, if so the answer is yes.It's located about 3000 feet from our building part underground. I do not know what feeds it but assumed it was Fiber, What is AFC?

But some lines are direct copper from the CO about 3 miles away and we have the same problem with them also. It does not seem to mater if the line is 48 volts tip to ring or 37, or have the tip almost at ground or at 8 volts. I cannot find a pattern.

Avaya still wants us to call Verizon and tell them the lines are bad but Avaya has not told us what to tell Verizon is wrong with them.

I already know what verizon's answer will be already "no trouble found"

Since seting the lnes to Loop Start from ICLID the problem has gone away but so has our Caller ID.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,290
Posts638,801
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,372 Shoretel
189,055 CTX100 install
187,410 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 3
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 112 guests, and 406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024