atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: MichaelV Valcom talkback problem - 07/10/06 10:30 PM
I have a customer with a 4 zone talkback system in his house. He is using the V-2006AHF as the controller with 45 ohm speakers. Everything works fine except when he uses the system there is a single "pop" that comes from the speaker that is called. It happens on all 4 zones. The funny thing is that we initially installed the V-2003AHF and it didn't have this problem. We changed out the system when the customer needed another zone. Is there some way to get rid of the "pop" sound when the speaker gets activated? I talked with Valcom and they said that is how it works.
Posted By: twisted pair Re: Valcom talkback problem - 07/11/06 07:53 AM
I seem to recall something about this but having trouble remembering what it was.

Did you change the way the 2003 was wired in compared to the 2006? Maybe from a trunk port to a page port?
I also remember the configuration of the switches affecting it (eg. loop start, battery feed switches).
Posted By: MichaelV Re: Valcom talkback problem - 07/11/06 07:59 AM
Wiring wise, everything is the same. The V2006 is programmed via a RJ11 port w/DTMF while the V2003 is programmed w/dip switches. I may have to compare the two manuals side by side to see if something is different.
Posted By: OBTW Re: Valcom talkback problem - 07/11/06 08:05 AM
Is the alert tone set to off or on ?
Posted By: twisted pair Re: Valcom talkback problem - 07/11/06 08:20 AM
The V2006 has some switches as well. I remember having to change that battery feed switch for some reason.
Posted By: KENB Re: Valcom talkback problem - 07/11/06 09:38 AM
Did you try Valcom tech support ,They are usually pretty good.
Posted By: MichaelV Re: Valcom talkback problem - 07/11/06 08:32 PM
Alert tone is set to off. Switches are set to loop start with battery feed on, and yes I talked to Valcom and they said the pop is normal.
Posted By: OBTW Re: Valcom talkback problem - 07/11/06 09:06 PM
Turn alert tone to on . The pop should go away . Try it Let us know . We use plenty of LS activated Valcom paging units . Our's have no "POP" . Except during a "Programmed Reboot" with the Micro Lights ! And that's an oh well , live with it ! They only reboot at 2am Sunday once a week . :thumb:
Posted By: twisted pair Re: Valcom talkback problem - 07/11/06 09:34 PM
Ok, I downloaded the manual to jog my memory.

https://www.valcom.com/pdf/v2006a_v-2006ahf.PDF

You have to set the battery feed switch to off if you are using a page port. This will cause a voltage pop.
Posted By: OBTW Re: Valcom talkback problem - 07/11/06 09:59 PM
If it's a LS Trunk Interface the Battery has to be on for the audio to go through . Even if you fake answer supervision , the battery feed must be set to yes ! At least with the units I have installed . smile
Posted By: MichaelV Re: Valcom talkback problem - 07/12/06 07:57 AM
Its connected to a loop start trunk port on the PBX, not a page port so the battery feed is on. I can't turn the alert tone on because the customer doesn't want that either. Maybe if I turn background music on that will keep the speaker powered all the time? Just a thought.
Posted By: OBTW Re: Valcom talkback problem - 07/13/06 06:05 AM
Sounds like this customer wants to have their soup and eat it too . If you give professional advice and they won't listen to it . You are pretty much locked in a corner ! :shrug:
Posted By: metelcom Re: Valcom talkback problem - 07/13/06 06:27 AM
You could try putting a .01 mfd cap across the audio line, if its a spike in line voltage that may filter it out.
Posted By: twisted pair Re: Valcom talkback problem - 07/13/06 07:44 AM
I was wondering if that would work also Merritt. It would be a test. My concern is a cap on that line may affect the talk back part (they use 45 ohm speakers for the sensitivity). Worth a try though.
Posted By: MichaelV Re: Valcom talkback problem - 07/13/06 07:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll play around with it and test it out.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help