atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Txnamrag Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/05/07 12:05 AM
Ok this has been like chasing a ghost for the last week or so. Once again someone walked up watched me run down a 66 block with my harris ponch tool. Open their mouth and said " Ive seen a tool that cuts five at once" or the other one normaly from the older guys " Ive seen one where you lace the hole block and cut them in one pass"

Ok so here is the thing i do 50+ blocks a month and would love a tool that would cut a group, side or the hole block block at once.

So are they realy out there or not, if so who makes them better yet where do i buy them. Now keep in mind we are not talking 110 blocks. This needs to be for a 66 block
Posted By: skip555 Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/05/07 06:15 AM
Ive never seen one for 66
Posted By: WRichey Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/05/07 09:59 AM
I have a rubber cable stretcher if you need one. :rofl: :rofl:

Older Telecom guys have the best sense of humor I have ever come across. I dont mean to make fun of a such a serious topic but :rofl:

Really I have to imagine that if it existed Harris or Seimon would make the tool but they dont. So I doubt the reality of it. I could be wrong you never know.
Posted By: BOBCOMM Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/05/07 10:12 AM
Me thinks the final response on this one will be a 'punch line' rather than a 'punch tool'. :nono:
Posted By: Txnamrag Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/05/07 12:28 PM
Yea this is one of those things that the next guy to stop me and tell me about this great tool may get hit :p
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/05/07 12:33 PM
The tool that does five at once is for a 110 block - it's great for seating the clips that go on over the cable that is punched down on the back.

Then watch someone use one of those on the 110's on a patch panel - and watch then replace the panel because the impact breaks the circuit boards!!
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/05/07 12:49 PM
Another thought is, they may be referring to what I.T. guys use for Leviton jacks. If they seen one guy use a 110 blade on punch tool on a Leviton and then see the next guy use the tool that does all 4 pair at once, they may think the tool is interchangeable.
Posted By: SST Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/05/07 02:35 PM
Yea, like everyone said a 5-pair punch tool is for 110 blocks.
or the other one normaly from the older guys " Ive seen one where you lace the hole block and cut them in one pass"
You do lay all the pairs out at one time, then go back and punch them in one pass. Are you lacing and punching a pair at a time?
Posted By: grider Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/05/07 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Txnamrag:
Ok this has been like chasing a ghost for the last week or so. Once again someone walked up watched me run down a 66 block with my harris ponch tool. Open their mouth and said " Ive seen a tool that cuts five at once"
Would the "Someone" referred to above be associated with either "IT" or "Consultant"?

You could offer a $20 finders fee to one of those that have seen one. In most cases the put-up or shut-up settles things. The worst case scenario is you are out 20 bucks but you will recoup this amount plus some when you become a dealer and sell one to all of us.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/05/07 06:31 PM
If you think about it, the inertia generated by punching all 50 clips at once would probably drive the block through the wall.

-Hal
Posted By: skip555 Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/05/07 07:25 PM
I'm imagining the size , weight , cost .
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/05/07 07:58 PM
Size, weight and cost of wall, equipment or .............?
Seriously, an individual once told me that he had seen an airpowered device that made all 50 punches at once. Claimed that there was a steel plate that was part of the system that held the block while this thing went KA-CHUNK. He never did collect on the all nite binge I offered for visual proof. And yes, he was a serious drinker. Come to think of it ,... Hmmmm.
Got to think Hal only made half the comment tho. Something that could do that would probably push the block thru the wall AND shatter it. John C.
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/05/07 07:59 PM
Originally posted by hbiss:
If you think about it, the inertia generated by punching all 50 clips at once would probably drive the block through the wall.

-Hal
That's exactly what I was thinking. Anybody that could use a tool like that if it existed would be called "Mister" by me. laugh

Not to hi-jack the thread but this reminds me of watching an episode of "Cops" one night when they used some tie wraps (the kind that air conditioner people use) to shackle some rowdy guys instead of metal handcuffs and a friend of mine said "Why... you could snap those things off in a heart beat".
Long story short I went to the truck and got two of the tie wraps we normally use in this industry and cuffed him with them and told him to "GO ahead... snap those".

He now believes in the power of tie wraps to say the least. :rofl:
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/05/07 09:17 PM
Actually TTT the Siemon panels are designed for the multi-tool as it is built on a METAL frame.
I didn't believe it either until I saw a guy do it, but don't try it on a PC board panel.
Posted By: LaneComm Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/06/07 06:08 AM
Its' just another IT guy URBAN LEGEND!
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/06/07 04:29 PM
heh, guess we are gonna start selling left handed pipe wrenches at the hardware store!
smile
Posted By: scotttoolguy Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/06/07 04:47 PM
I'm looking for some cat-5 scotchloks and a bridge clip installing tool.

Scott.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/06/07 08:58 PM
I want my Cat-5 splices to look like beanies and not be any bigger than the cable and could the Bridge Clip tool work like a staple gun?

Carl
Posted By: skip555 Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/06/07 09:06 PM
will it install the clips on all 25 pair at once ?

does it only work with cat 6 bridging clips or only cat 5 ?
Posted By: BOBCOMM Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/07/07 06:54 AM
Did someone put something in the water? :rofl:
Posted By: Silversam Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/18/07 08:28 PM
I saw a pneumatic punch on tool for 66 blocks many (30+) years ago, but it only did one pair at a time. It used a foot pedal We used it till it shot the blade out of the tool and imbedded it in the wall across the room. At that point we stopped using it - except when the boss (who had bought it to increase productivity) came by.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/19/07 09:13 AM
Silversam, you weren't perchance 'playing around' on the job when you 'accidentally' triggered the thing when it wasn't on a block? Sounds like why nail shooters wont fire unless they are depressed against the receiving object, unless of course,someone is 'playing around'. What's that old saying,"Idle Hands Are The Devils Workshop". smile John C.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/23/07 09:18 AM
30+ years ago tools like that didn't have the safety features that are required today. Very possible that it would fire without being pressed to the block.

-Hal
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/23/07 09:29 AM
agreed hal, one place i used to work with had a guillotine in the print shop for cutting stacks of paper, the new ones have 2 handles about 3 feet apart and 2 feet from the blade that have to be held with both hands for the blade to drop, the one in our old print shop only required one hand to operate, was VERY scary to see
Posted By: metelcom Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/23/07 01:05 PM
I used a high velocity stud gun that used 45 blanks that would stick a stud into concrete from 6 feet back.(no safety) After about a 5-6 studs you needed a break for your arm to recover
As for the punch tool never seen one for multi pairs but I have a electric punch that makes it easier
Posted By: 5Etek-mike Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/23/07 02:02 PM
Here\'s an example of a 5-pair pd tool for a 110 block. I can't imagine how one would look or even work with the way that 66-blocks are designed. I really need to join one of those clubs where they send you these different style tools for free, and all you provide back is your honest and professional opinion on them. laugh
Posted By: DJG Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/23/07 03:39 PM
I have a 5-pair / 110 punch down tool, have had it for over 10 years now, forgot what brand it is. Works real good, also very good to seat the 110 clips onto the block, but i would "NEVER" use them on a patch panel as it shows in the add on your site.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/23/07 08:08 PM
The punch tool is an 857 or 587 or something like that. Do you guys remember the old Hilti (DX-300 maybe?). It was kinda like the Remington hand punch in that you had a 2 1/2 or 5 pound hammer and a barrel with a knob on the end. You opened up the barrel and put your charge in it, the stud on the bottom, and pressed it to the floor (or not) and struck the top with a hammer. Even if you accidently had it on a angle, it was pretty dangerous.

Go figure why it was one of the first tools that I can remember that was recalled :-)

Carl
Posted By: Netsearcher Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/23/07 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Carl Navarro:
and could the Bridge Clip tool work like a staple gun?
Is it wrong that I can picture how this could be implemented? laugh String the clips together like nails for a nail gun on plastic... I don't know that it's economically practical to make and market, but I think it could be done.

Guess I'll just keep using my fingers (or Leatherman) for now. smile
Posted By: Silversam Re: Punch Tools for 66 blocks - 05/23/07 08:50 PM
Guys -

No, we weren't fooling around with the punch tool. I mean, when the guy hit the foot pedal he didn't have it seated on the block (I think he was doing it because the tool was jamming) but it just shot the blade right across the room.

As far as Hilti's go - I had one when I had my contracting business back in '74-'75. The last time we used it was when my guys went to hang a Cook 303 box on the wall in a factory in NJ. They took the template out of the box, taped it to the wall and levelled it. Then they went to shoot those shots that left a 3/8" stud projecting out into the (what they thought was a) concrete block wall. Well in NYC it would have been filled concrete block. In Lodi, NJ it was hollow Cinder Block. The shot blew a piece of the wall about the size of your fist right out of the wall and into the outside yard. Lucky no one was out there when it happened. That's the last time I ever used one.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help