atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Keep VOIP on a PRI remote locations and 911 - 10/23/14 02:46 PM
Hello all,

I tried searching for the topic and did not find any relevant posts.

I have been fighting with this issue for years, and still have not come up with a viable solution that is not stupidly overpriced.

We run a Cisco UC560 with a PRI, I have 15 remote locations that VPN into and run off the UC. All remote locations have a DID programed and the outgoing CLID that matches for each extension at those locations.

I have been trying to find a solution that will allow me to map each DID to a specific address, so when a user calls 911, they do not show up at my admin office.

We have went to the provider of the PRI and they want $300 a month to host 15 static records for 911 purposes, that is insane.

Are there any services out there, that will work with what we are trying to do?

In the mean time each location has an analog "bat phone" that they have been told to use for 911 purposes. While this solves some of the problems, it does not stop the user calling 911 from the voip phones in a time of crisis.

We have only had a couple instances with the police/ambulance/fire showing up at the admin office after hours, but once is to many.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Posted By: epcompx2 Re: VOIP on a PRI remote locations and 911 - 10/23/14 03:48 PM
How much are you paying for the analog lines at the 15 locations?
I am guessing that it comes close to $300.00/mo
Posted By: Keep Re: VOIP on a PRI remote locations and 911 - 10/23/14 04:45 PM
Yes but those are also the no power and fax lines.
Big picture...$300 a month is the cost of doing business and a lot cheaper than the impending lawsuit over someones death because they couldn't get proper medical assistance.
Posted By: aweaver Re: VOIP on a PRI remote locations and 911 - 11/07/14 02:07 AM
We support this service for a much lower fee and may be able to help you depending on number portability etc. You can call the office at 717-665-2141 if interested.
Posted By: DND ON Re: VOIP on a PRI remote locations and 911 - 11/07/14 03:06 AM
I can put any Caller ID I want on my AT&T PRIs and 911 will route to the correct 911 center with the proper address, even if it's across the state.

This works very well with the Mitel 5000 option that allows different Calling Party Number and Emergency numbers.
Posted By: Keep Re: VOIP on a PRI remote locations and 911 - 11/10/14 05:43 PM
@aweaver We are located in Ontario, not sure if you can support that. I can setup the outgoing CLID without issue, its the mapping that CLID to an address where we are running into issues.

Posted By: Rcaman Re: VOIP on a PRI remote locations and 911 - 11/11/14 01:42 PM
So, you are saying the CLID does not represent a legitimate office code that a 911 responder can recognize as being in that area?

I understand the problem, but as DND ON wrote, usually a CLID going to a 911 center is identified by the office code as being local or out of the area.

Can you translate dialed numbers into speed dials? In some systems, you can make a speed dial number dial a 10 digit number for a 911 center (It's possible in the US, but I am not sure if it can be done in Canada).

Rcaman
Posted By: Keep Re: VOIP on a PRI remote locations and 911 - 11/17/14 01:07 PM
No, all the CLID's translate to 10 digit numbers, we are on a 10 digit system up here.

But the address for all of those 10 digit numbers point to my admin office where the PRI is located, instead of the address where that ext associated with the CLID is located.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: VOIP on a PRI remote locations and 911 - 11/17/14 03:51 PM
OK, so your numbering, provided by your carrier, is all coded to your physical location and not to the actual phone number location. Now I have it.

Unfortunately, because the Cisco can't transmit a different number other than the one associated with the out dial trunk, there is nothing you can do short of getting the special DID numbers from the carrier that identify the actual location from where the call originates.

Rcaman
Posted By: Keep Re: VOIP on a PRI remote locations and 911 - 11/17/14 07:19 PM
You just gave me an idea.

I wonder if I set the outgoing CLID to the analog fax line number, if that would point them to the physical address.

Anyone know if that would work?
Posted By: JBean3329 Re: VOIP on a PRI remote locations and 911 - 11/17/14 10:26 PM
That could work IF your provider allows a number not on their circuit. TWC , for example, won't pass a number they don't own.
Do you have analog lines at the remote sites?
Posted By: Keep Re: VOIP on a PRI remote locations and 911 - 11/18/14 01:32 PM
JB - good point, I can always test it. It is currently setup to allow me to designate what goes out on the CLID, using the Cisco system.

Coral, yes we do. Each location has an analog line, connected to a big old red phone, that is supposed to be used for 911 purposes. But again that does not stop them from dialing it from the Cisco desk phones.
Well there's your answer if the Cisco can do it. Remote FXO's and setup each location that when it dials 911 to do so over that POTS line.
Posted By: Keep Re: VOIP on a PRI remote locations and 911 - 11/18/14 07:27 PM
Okay I think I caught what you mean by that. I will have to look and see if the UC560 supports remote FXO's

If your PRI provider will allow you to send outgoing caller id that is not part of your own incoming DID range, you're on the right track, that you can have each site send the CID of that site's analog line, and the PSAP will get the address associated with the telephone number.

© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help