atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: samcorcione9111 Mike Sandman - 07/08/15 10:45 PM
I don't want to start any rumors, because I cannot confirm this as of yet.. but Sandman Enterprises Is located in Roselle IL next to Bloomingdale, and Mike Is/Was about 61 and He Does/Did love planes so...

BARTLETT – The pilot who died in the July 3 Bartlett plane crash has been identified as Michael Sandman, 61, of Bloomingdale, according to the DuPage County Coroner's Office.
Sandman was identified using dental records. He died of multiple traumatic injuries as a result of the crash, according to coroner's office.
The incident took place at 3:45 p.m. July 3 when Sandman's aircraft crashed into the Hawk Hollow Forest Preserve near Struckman and South Bartlett roads, according to National Transportation Safety Board spokesman Peter Knudson.
Sandman, who was operating a Cessna 172 single-engine plane and was the only person on the aircraft, reported a control problem before the crash, Knudson said.
The Bartlett Police Department was contacted almost immediately following the incident, according to the coroner's office, which was also on scene and declared the time of death to be 5:52 p.m.
National Transportation Safety Board then sent an investigator to the site, Knudson said.
Other organizations involved in the investigation include the Federal Aviation Administration, Bartlett police, the coroner's office and the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County police, according to the release.
The Bartlett Fire Protection District assisted at the scene.

I will investigate more into this.

Sam Corcione
Evanston, IL
Posted By: samcorcione9111 Re: Mike Sandman - 07/08/15 10:48 PM
OK according to WGN it is him.. sorry to respond to myself

A Cessna 172 crashed into a forest preserve July 3, 2015, near Bartlett. The crash killed the pilot, the only person aboard.
Janelle Walker, Elgin Courier-News
1:50 pm, July 8, 2015
The pilot who died Friday in a single-engine plane crash was identified Wednesday by the DuPage County Coroner as Michael Sandman, 61, of Bloomingdale.
His identification was delayed as the coroner's office sought dental records, officials said. The coroner's office said Sunday that an autopsy showed Sandman, who was the only person about the plane, died of "multiple traumatic injuries."
Emergency crews were called at 3:45 p.m. Friday to a DuPage County forest preserve near Bartlett, officials said. The pilot had reported problems with the plane's rudder, which helps steer the plane, before the Cessna 172 crashed in the middle of a field near Newcastle Lane, officials said.
YouTube videos uploaded by MikeSandmanTelecom show Sandman in a Cessna 172 demonstrating difficult turns, landings and night flying — as well as instructional electronics installation videos.One video, with a flight instructor, appears to include Sandman learning to turn his plane back to the DuPage Airport with a stalled engine.
He was the owner of Mike Sandman Enterprises and the website sandman.com, selling telephone and communication components online.According to the website Aviation Business Gazette "the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is recognizing Michael Sandman with inclusion in the prestigious FAA Airmen Certification Database."
According to that database, Sandman was issued a private pilot's license in March 2011.
Janelle Walker is a freelance reporter for The Courier-News.
Related Content
A Tribune newspaper website
Posted By: justbill Re: Mike Sandman - 07/08/15 10:56 PM
Sorry to hear that, he was quite an asset to the business.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Mike Sandman - 07/08/15 11:06 PM
sorry to hear it ,he was a great guy who would go out of his way to help you out whether there was money in for him or not .

Posted By: Mercenary Roadie Re: Mike Sandman - 07/08/15 11:14 PM
What a bummer.

Not to be insensitive, but I hope his site and business survive his passing.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Mike Sandman - 07/09/15 12:40 AM
Oh wow, this is terrible!
I bought quite a bit of oddball stuff from him over the years.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Mike Sandman - 07/09/15 01:08 AM
RIP
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Mike Sandman - 07/09/15 01:59 AM
That's such terrible news. He was truly an asset to our industry in more ways than one, whether it be his knowledge, his gadgets or his sense of humor. Poor guy. He was trying to get out of the business for many years. It is sad that this is how it ended up happening. He'll surely be missed by many.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Mike Sandman - 07/09/15 02:47 AM
Sad news and a great loss to the industry.

Sam
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Mike Sandman - 07/09/15 03:44 AM
Wow. What a bummer. I'll miss his contributions. I remember waiting for his article in the Gear or Mart and was sad when the magazine folded. Besides, it was fun to visit his website and buy the occasional "odd thing" he offered.

Carl
Posted By: upstateny Re: Mike Sandman - 07/09/15 11:30 AM
Another RIP

I remember the first time i ever called there ... and he answered the phone. I thought it was kind of special to talk to him.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Mike Sandman - 07/09/15 12:35 PM
Our prayers go out to his family and those grieving his death. I have shelves of "Sandman goodies" we have bought over the years. He was a true pioneer in searching out solutions to difficult problems. I will miss him.

Rcaman
Posted By: DND ON Re: Mike Sandman - 07/09/15 12:37 PM
How tragic. It feels like I’ve known the guy for years, but we’ve never met. He was always helpful on the phone, and his technical bulletins were a good source of information.
Posted By: Yoda Re: Mike Sandman - 07/09/15 02:49 PM
A great loss for the industry.
Posted By: KENB Re: Mike Sandman - 07/09/15 04:43 PM
RIP great guy easy to talk with.
Posted By: Meyery2k Re: Mike Sandman - 07/09/15 05:21 PM
Wow - A sad day. He helped us out of the odd jam with RF and with his CPC generators.

He will be missed by many....
Posted By: brokeda Re: Mike Sandman - 07/09/15 07:03 PM
Great loss. Yes, he use to answer the phone back when I first found him in the eighties. First thing I bought was a slingshot with Zebco 33 reel for shooting ceilings. I love the birds and the shop vac ad that pointed to the inlet with a little cloud that said "Do no insert Penis". Oh, and all the Chernobyl stuff.

RIP.
Posted By: Steve Layton Re: Mike Sandman - 07/09/15 07:54 PM
Sad to hear of this. He will be missed. He was such a resource. I purchase quite a few of his RF line filters over the years among other of his "gadgets".
Prayers for his family and business associates.
Posted By: RonP Re: Mike Sandman - 07/09/15 08:54 PM
Big loss. You could always count on Mike to have some hard to find solution to a problem. RIP
Posted By: 1864 Re: Mike Sandman - 07/10/15 06:12 AM
Sorry to hear, RIP.

Telephone Man Heaven, has a New President.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Mike Sandman - 07/10/15 12:12 PM
Very sad news Mike was a great person and a big help to the telecom industry. He always made donations to our meets when asked but never was able to attend. I would have loved to meant him but I'll have to wait till my day comes. RIP Mike
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: Mike Sandman - 07/13/15 05:43 AM
Has anyone here on the board organized anything for sending a wreath or other kind of honoring of Mike? I know we've done things like that in the past, and Mike was a part of this board whether he ever posted or not.

Justin
Posted By: goldenhtr Re: Mike Sandman - 07/13/15 03:04 PM
RIP Mike frown
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Mike Sandman - 07/13/15 03:05 PM
I would be happy to contribute. Please let me know if anything has been arranged.
Posted By: Butch Cassidy Re: Mike Sandman - 07/13/15 03:36 PM
For anyone who is not on the Mike Sandman email list, here is a link to an email that they sent out today:

https://www.sandman-telecom.com/vw/6X432T4UUZG42HMUB0I1

Posted By: skip555 Re: Mike Sandman - 07/13/15 03:38 PM
text of the email Butch linked to :
Remembering Mike Sandman
--------------------

Hello,

As subscribers to Mike’s monthly tech tips, it’s with deep regret that I must inform you that Mike Sandman passed away on July 3rd in a plane crash near Bartlett Illinois.

Mike thoroughly enjoyed writing these tech tip emails and helping people troubleshoot difficult to solve phone and network problems. He was unquestionably one of the most knowledgeable phone men out there.

Mike also enjoyed learning from you all through your responses and comments in reply to his tech tips. When he first started this newsletter he was amazed by the positive response and encouraged by your continued support.

I met Mike about 16 years ago when I interviewed for a computer programming job at Mike Sandman Enterprises. I was 19 with no work experience but he gave me a shot and I learned more from him in my first year there than I would have in 4 years of college. I later moved on to start my own programming company but have continued to work with Mike to help him maintain his software and websites, and send out these monthly emails.

Mike’s family, friends and employees are currently working to determine the future of the business, which will be closed for the time being pending the funeral service and to allow time for grieving. I’m hopeful that they will be able to resume business soon and have offered to help in any way I can.

In the meantime I’d encourage you all to visit (or revisit) the Telco Powered Products page at sandman.com. The page really personifies Mike – knowledgeable, creative and hilarious. Also be sure to review the telephone history page which is loaded with great content about the history of the telephone that you won’t find anywhere else.

As more develops with the business, we’ll be in touch. If you have any words of support or memories that you’d like to share with Mike’s family, friends and employees please feel free to reply to this email and I’ll make sure it reaches them.

Sincerely,

Chuck Hall
(on behalf of Mike Sandman Enterprises)

If you no longer wish to receive these messages you can click here to opt-out.

----------------------------------------------------------------

We have a fantastic assortment of Unique Telecom Products, Cable and Phone Line Testing and Installation Tools, and Training DVDs to help you use them.

New "Basic Installation 2" is a 3 DVD set, 6 hours that shows you how to build a frame.

Also check out our Telephony History Page which contains ads, catalogs and information from telephony related magazines from the first part of the last century:

https://www.sandman.com/telhist.html

Posted By: Cans and String Re: Mike Sandman - 07/13/15 07:06 PM
I have been in the telecom business for 40+ years. This man has been a savior to all of us that new him. I loved it when he answered the phone and spoke with me. He had the kind heart to help me in times of need or able to direct me to those that could help. Mike you will be missed greatly and my heart is low today because of the news. You will be missed my friend. Thank you for all of those great stories and tech support. All the best from up the road to the north in Green Bay, WI.
Posted By: johnp Re: Mike Sandman - 07/14/15 01:26 AM
I think anyone who has been in the industry for some years knew of Mike. I remember hearing from my college instructor, there's this guy in Chicago who you should know if you are getting into this business.

He was (is) always the source to find that weird solution. Bless his soul, he'll be missed.
Posted By: NiceRing Re: Mike Sandman - 07/14/15 06:46 AM
Really sad to hear about this. It was like any tool that could make our jobs easier, if there wasn't one out there Mike designed it, got it manufactured and put it in that great catalog he had. The one he kept saying he was going to finish and reprint. I have so many tools and parts and pieces from Mike, and got so many if the right answers when I was in a jam and couldn't figure something out. Great customer service always. I hope they find a way to keep the business going. There are a lot of great guys working there. He will be missed, one of a kind Phone Guy. I guess we will all see him someday in that big comm room in the sky. Really a loss to our industry! Sending good thoughts and prayers to the family and co-workers. RIP Mike.
Posted By: godfather Re: Mike Sandman - 07/14/15 08:33 PM
This is very upsetting news. Mike was an encyclopedia of knowledge. His business provided a treasure chest of tools and solutions when it came to unique or unusual applications. God Bless him.
Posted By: MnDave Re: Mike Sandman - 07/16/15 07:41 PM
When we needed odd items, the guys always said "Time to call Sandman!" It was always a treat to catch him answering the phone.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Mike Sandman - 07/17/15 02:56 PM
Received this via the email newsletter just now:

"Hello,

Let me start this message by thanking you all for the condolences and support. It's been a difficult couple weeks here but Mike's family and friends really appreciated your email replies.

The office opened back up on Tuesday and the guys have been working on returning calls and emails and getting orders shipped out. While it's not the same without Mike at the office, it was good to start getting back to routine. We're open to take phone orders at 630-980-7710 during our normal business hours of 8:30 to 5:00 PM CST.

Mike's family asked me to step in as president of the company and with the support of the employees I have humbly accepted the honor. The rest of our staff remains the same experienced staff you're used to when you call. Many of the employees have been here for almost 20 years so I'm confident in their ability to continue to deliver the products and expertise needed to continue the business - and we all feel it's the best way we can pay tribute to Mike.

Most of you are on this list because you requested our catalog - and I intend to deliver on that request. Initially it will not be the 100+ page catalog that it once was, but I plan to have a 32 page catalog of our most unique and top selling products for you by the time you receive our October newsletter.

Sincerely,

Chuck Hall
(on behalf of Mike Sandman Enterprises)"

Posted By: Ohm_Boy Re: Mike Sandman - 07/20/15 06:39 PM
Way to go, Chuck!
And I've wanted a telco-powered flashlight for many many years.

Mike will be missed.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Mike Sandman - 07/20/15 10:19 PM
We used to have a variety of -48V (DC) devices for use in CO switch rooms. Lights were standard.

Sam
Posted By: rtp Re: Mike Sandman - 07/21/15 11:54 PM
Mike Sandman was a real phone guy and Chicago's phone expert. He was smart and funny. Remember his ad for the commode with the soothing warm water rinse in his magazine?
RIP Mike and Thank You.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Mike Sandman - 10/17/15 11:03 PM
Got an email the other day with a preview of their 2016 catalog. Glad that his employees have kept the business running and I hope to place an order soon!
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Mike Sandman - 02/17/16 09:37 PM
A condensed catalog, 40 some pages, is now available at Sandman.com and is also being mailed out.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Mike Sandman - 02/17/16 10:51 PM
Thanks for letting us know, Jeff1

Sam
Posted By: ComdialJim Re: Mike Sandman - 03/01/16 03:59 AM
I haven't been on much lately so I am just finding out about Mike. Like most of you he help me solve problems in my 31 years in business. I loved his videos and all his cool stuff. Was always shocked when he answered the phone. It was like talking to telephone company royalty. In our business where there are not many stars he was one. RIP
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help