atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: pingable Copper is Dead - 02/26/16 02:38 AM
Just mulling.....

We're moving offices.
Decided to go with fiber over EOC (ethernet over copper), even though the pricepoint is about 2X. IMO, huge dramatic decline in maintenance, repair, etc with copper these days.

Same goes for our Voice. Debating/Mulling over how I'm going to feed the PBX. We do have SIP trunks in it already, but that's mainly for backup trunks.

Mulling over a *old school ISN PRI*, in which only a handful of carriers still offer as such---and yes, it runs over copper. Then's theirs latter options that are IP centric.

For all of ya'll that refer, advise, etc - what's your take. Hell, I have another site with a chronic. OSP has given us 2 months on the ETA on repair/replacement...
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Copper is Dead - 02/26/16 02:49 AM
What PBX
Posted By: pingable Re: Copper is Dead - 02/26/16 02:59 AM
IPO. We currently use a PRI with SIP
Posted By: Andyreed Re: Copper is Dead - 02/26/16 04:12 AM
Just installed a larger PBX (well large for us, about 50 extensions) and the customer went with AT&T SIP over fiber shared with their main internet connection (aka AT&T Flex BVoIP). At our office we have SIP over a dedicated T1 from Windstream. Both have proven to be reliable. We did have a 5 minute or so Windstream outage this past fall, however.

We have a third customer that has a PRI over fiber from AT&T.

In every case, however, the SIP was provided by the company providing the circuit. I've tried third party SIP providers at home (using pro grade equipment) and it has not been as reliable.

As long as your PBX plays nice with SIP, the SIP trunks and circuit are from the same provider, and the circuit is of good quality, it seems like a safe choice.
Posted By: 94astro Re: Copper is Dead - 02/26/16 05:43 AM
I say go fiber when possible. I can' see a downside besides it's expensive right now. It'll eventually come down.
Posted By: Andyreed Re: Copper is Dead - 02/26/16 01:58 PM
You know all of this said, AT&T relies on copper to support fiber and assumes everyone still has at least 1 copper trunk. They include a US Robotics 56k modem with every fiber install in order to access their on site router incase the fiber goes down.

So I guess copper does still rule supreme in reliability.
Posted By: pingable Re: Copper is Dead - 02/27/16 03:55 PM
If the fiber is down....regardless of CPE management capability via a dialup, what's the benefit....as the prem. is still Hard Down regardless..
Posted By: Andyreed Re: Copper is Dead - 02/27/16 06:46 PM
I guess the idea is that they can remotely reboot the CPE, or make configuration changes in hopes of restoring service.
Posted By: pingable Re: Copper is Dead - 02/27/16 09:08 PM
Broadband CPE is so cheap these days.....most "being the word" , IMO, would possibly ride over a secondary ~high speed~ circuit and come into the equipment via a secondary route, IMO. It's been eons since I've seen or even consider dial up a secondary means on getting in, if the primary is down
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Copper is Dead - 02/28/16 05:15 PM
Fiber is much more reliable than copper. The LECs are not maintaining copper properly. In fact, many places where Verizon is the LEC, their fix for bad pairs is install FiOS. As you may know, there is a theoretical limit to bandwidth on copper. I don't know of anything commercially available that approaches that limit, however, that limit is based on good copper from termination to termination. Today, that's a gamble.

I have a problem with SIP in that some politician or some money greedy entity will somehow find a way to either tax the use of the internet or make the use of SIP and VoIP metered, just like dedicated lines/trunks are now. Then the advantage will go away and what is left? At least, with fiber, the provider may be able to bundle services for an advantage as opposed to what we have now.

Rcaman
Posted By: dexman Re: Copper is Dead - 02/28/16 08:44 PM
Verizon has capped FiOS. The company will install the service where the process to gain entrance is underway, but, will not start the process for new locations.

But even in towns/cities where FiOS is being installed, Verizon will make good use of claiming a hardship, thus, no FiOS for users in said areas. mad
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Copper is Dead - 02/28/16 11:56 PM
That is interesting. I have a client that is a mile away from the nearest FiOS connection. After repeated service calls regarding bad cable pairs on the 200 pair cable on the street, Verizon told my customer "We are installing FiOS to your facility. We will not continue service on copper."

So, is the cap company wide or is it regional?

Rcaman
Posted By: dexman Re: Copper is Dead - 02/29/16 12:53 AM
It is a cap on expansion into new towns/cities. In towns where FiOS already exists, new service can be ordered so long as it is financially feasible to Verizon. Otherwise cable techs will be dispatched to either repair or replace copper as required.

I would like my church to switch to FiOS, but all utilities are underground. The block consists of the church, an empty home structure (eventually it will house businesses) and a stand alone CVS.

Verizon has no fiber underground along our side of the block. Comcast and RCN have no conduits either. Verizon will only go as high as 7M/768K DSL (which is what we have).

Verizon's end strategy is to deploy services via OTA as opposed to wireline (think Verizon Wireless).
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Copper is Dead - 02/29/16 01:02 PM
If copper is dead it's news to me. PRI is still cheaper here (and better). Last mile is almost always copper.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Copper is Dead - 02/29/16 03:12 PM
It must be regional then. There is a new sub division going in and there are NO utility services there. It was a 200 acre farm. I talked to a Verizon tech and he said Verizon, via contractor, is installing FiOS only for the entire sub division.

Rcaman
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Copper is Dead - 02/29/16 03:59 PM
Sort of, Ralph. As Paul stated earlier, if you land within the original footprint of a FiOS service area, then chances are that you can still get the service. If a new development falls within this footprint, then they will likely expand FiOS there. They just aren't building out the service territory any further. This service has been a huge loss for Verizon, so they are having to re-think their strategy.

They are installing new copper in my area here and there. They just ran about 1,000 feet of aerial 600 pair and another 2,000 feet underground for a rehab project in our office park. In another area located between Richmond and Williamsburg, VA, they have deemed it as not getting FiOS and have embarked on a major copper rehabilitation project. They have transferred some of their best copper people there and the quality of their workmanship speaks volumes. It is beautiful aerial plant.

In Alexandria, VA, the city council has ruled that Verizon cannot build any FiOS plant because of a moratorium on new aerial plant for any utilities. They can only replace what is already there for maintenance purposes. Customers are leaving Verizon for Comcast in order to get decent bandwidth, since this is their only viable option.
Posted By: bpitt Re: Copper is Dead - 02/29/16 07:44 PM
Copper isn't dead, yet, but it is dying...at least in my area. We had a meeting with AT&T a week ago. Their sales engineer point blank told us that it is AT&T's objective to be off copper by 2020. We have some customer sites that do not have fiber or U-verse available (its rural Mississippi). They don't even have dsl service, but they do have T1's. AT&T said they will phase out T1 service in those area's, do away with POTS lines, and push everyone to LTE, basically, a wireless service for data and voice connections. Shocking, but it's not.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Copper is Dead - 02/29/16 10:49 PM
Funny thing happened today. I had a station move at my church and as I was driving up the driveway which is a mile and a half long to the church, I came across a contractor blocking the entrance to the church as they were installing fiber.

Now, I have been a constant source of irritation to ANYONE from Verizon that would listen because I wanted FiOS for our church. Comcast stinks and the copper leading to the church is in terrible shape.

I asked the contractor if they were putting in fiber for Verizon. Yes, he said. I asked if they were busy. He said, "we are one of 5 contractors placing fiber in the area and we are swamped. Verizon just added 4 more contractors to help with the work." I asked him if he knew of Verizon capping new fiber installs around here. He said, "if anything, they are expanding fiber installation."

So, I guess it's the luck of the draw. Funny..."FiOS is a loss for Verizon" yet, here, it's a money maker. Go figure.

Rcaman
Posted By: dexman Re: Copper is Dead - 02/29/16 10:50 PM
That is what Verizon is working towards. Deliver voice, data and TV services OTA as opposed to copper or fiber.

Didn't at&t just announce that it was closing off U-verse to new subscribers and pushing DirecTV? eh

I've given up holding out hope for FiOS at my church. Verizon doesn't want to spend the money to put the hardware under the sidewalk, trench the property line and pull fiber. We probably won't see any chance for an upgrade until the company starts in with OTA service delivery.
Posted By: Bob3470 Re: Copper is Dead - 03/01/16 01:28 AM
The telephone company here want to put fiber over most of the city. Sorry Iam having trouble with the video.

https://www.vancouversun.com/news/t...ork+across+vancouver/11409326/story.html
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help