atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: mj_wald XP Upgrade - 05/30/14 05:32 PM
Our IS department is pushing to have all XP computer removed.

Has anyone tried upgrading a MAS from XP to Win7?

Can I just drop in a WIN7 upgrade disk? Something says no, but..

Posted By: newtecky Re: XP Upgrade - 05/30/14 09:58 PM
I imagine there will be many more questions about this.
Just as an FYI, Microsfot does not have a direct upgrade path from XP to Windows 7.
"To upgrade your PC from Windows XP to Windows 7, you'll need to select the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings. It's sometimes called a "clean" installation for that reason."

It would appear to me that you would be doing a fresh install of Windows 7, then install all the required software and drivers. Best case I would think it would take many hours to complete.

From a previous post it appears phonemeister has done this.

If it is a Micromas, Toshiba has upgrade packages. Depending on the version you may be able to use an upgrade kit that includes all the software preinstalled on a new hard drive. The Mas systems also have an upgrade kit available.

I don't know how much these upgrades cost, but how much is your hourly rate plus the price of Windows 7? To me this seems like a better way to go.
Posted By: mj_wald Re: XP Upgrade - 06/02/14 05:02 PM
Thanks much, did not realize you could not make a jump from XP to 7.

Now that I really get looking, a lot of our MAS's are not even going to cut running 7, just not enough CPU in them.
Posted By: phonemeister Re: XP Upgrade - 06/03/14 05:30 PM
I was able to do it on a micromas but not the 1U or 2U MAS because of the hardware limitation. If you have an R3 version of the 2U MAS then there is an upgrade path supported by Toshiba.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help