atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: greg12345654321 Vodavi 5000-00 rings through - 11/21/08 12:17 PM
We have a Vodavi 5000-00 controller, digital voice mail, and 30-button exec phones (3015-71). Incoming calls to the two main lines are supposed to be answered by the digital attendant who prompts for extension numbers or company directory. Yesterday, the system stopped working and all incoming calls on these two main lines now ring at the phone on my desk.

I unplugged the controller to try to reboot, but it didn't fix anything.

Any advice?

Thanks
Greg
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Vodavi 5000-00 rings through - 11/21/08 12:33 PM
Two things to check:

1. Make sure that the DND or night button isn't lit or flashing on X100 or any designated receptionist's telephone. It should be off under most circumstances.

2. Make sure that you rebooted the voice mail system (blue box, about the size of a large telephone directory). Unplug the power from it, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in and allow about two minutes for it to come back on line.

Please check back and let us know how you make out.
Posted By: greg12345654321 Re: Vodavi 5000-00 rings through - 11/21/08 01:04 PM
Ed-
Thanks for the advice-
I followed your suggestions and still no dice.
Calls still come through immediately to my desk phone rather than going to the attendant etc.

any other suggestions?
Thanks
Greg
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Vodavi 5000-00 rings through - 11/21/08 02:06 PM
Unfortunately, yes. It sounds as if your voice mail's hard drive has failed. When looking at the eight red LED's on the front edge of the unit, which ones are lit?
Posted By: greg12345654321 Re: Vodavi 5000-00 rings through - 11/21/08 03:04 PM
All 8 lights are lit on the mail unit. If the HD had failed, how hard would it be for me to install a new HD and get it working? Would I need proprietary software?

There is a 9 pin cable that looks like a serial cable. Can I access the HD through this to see if I can browse it?

I had thought that the Vodavi 5000 controller was the brains of the operation with shuttling calls to the attendant or extensions. What does this box full of circuit boards do? The installer left a glass tube-type fuse taped to the outside of the case suggesting that we might need it to replace a blown fuse at some time. I can't find a glass fuse anywhere inside without removing circuit boards and looking further.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Greg
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Vodavi 5000-00 rings through - 11/21/08 06:43 PM
If all 8 lights are lit steadily, then chances are that the hard drive is good. Are you able to call into the voice mail by dialing 440? If you do have a failed drive, yes I can connect you with someone in Silver Spring who can sell you a flash-based replacement that comes pre-loaded with the software. You will need to get the programming software and have a good command of the programming for this system though. You may want to send the unit to him and have him fix it for you so that he might be able to recover the existing programming.

A standard terminal program on a laptop, along with a null-modem cable will allow you to view the hard drive's start up status. You can just watch the lights on the cabinet for that though. If there's flickering/flashing during the startup, then it's safe to assume that the drive is working.

The gray-colored cabinet is the switching equipment for the phones. The blue unit is strictly the voice mail and auto attendant. There is a black twist-off fuse holder on the bottom of the phone system near where the power cord connects. That's where the spare fuse would be used.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help