atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: gmbrickley Ooma VoIP with Vodavi STSe - 10/16/09 04:05 PM
Hello,
I'm thinking about getting rid of my 2 copper lines at home and switching to the ooma VoIP service. We currently have an STSe with 14 extensions and 2 CO lines. I've heard that the ooma service will not allow hunting which is a minor drawback. I also have a Vodavi Digital Dispatch VM system. If I don't use Vodavi VM system will I get a flashing vm indicator light on our key sets? I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons before I spend $250. Any comments would be appreciated.
Posted By: justbill Re: Ooma VoIP with Vodavi STSe - 10/16/09 05:15 PM
While I sure wouldn't kill the POTS lines for IP to answer your question which I assume you mean get rid of the Vodavi VM and in it's place use phone company VM than that would be yes. The lamp on the LCD screen can be optioned to light on phone company FSK VM signal. I have no idea what type indication you'd get with the IP service. Also you wouldn't know which line has the VM on it as it would light on the signal not the line. If you have a funtioning VM why get rid of it?

If you're going this route I'd order the IP service and try it awhile before having my POTS lines removed, which is another problem if you want to port the numbers.
Posted By: gmbrickley Re: Ooma VoIP with Vodavi STSe - 10/16/09 06:21 PM
Baby steps. You're right - I thought I would give the VoIp service a try before killing the POTS lines. If it works OK then I'm set. I love the Digital Dispatch but the VoIP vm can be played back over the internet. Since ooma is set up for home single line service I don't think it would light a button for vm on our XTS UNI phones. I have the gold software in the STSe cabinet.
Posted By: MnDave Re: Ooma VoIP with Vodavi STSe - 10/16/09 06:25 PM
The loss of hunting is minor??? I guess you will need TelCo VM since you will get quite a bit of busies otherwise.
However, should you choose to keep the Dispatch VM, you will need to activate silence detect since loop disconnect is a foreign concept to IP TelCos.
Posted By: DrPbx Re: Ooma VoIP with Vodavi STSe - 10/17/09 09:00 PM
Vonage will hunt. I know users that use it. I do not know if it is included in the basic package.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help