Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#216661 10/16/09 12:05 PM
OP Offline
Hello,
I'm thinking about getting rid of my 2 copper lines at home and switching to the ooma VoIP service. We currently have an STSe with 14 extensions and 2 CO lines. I've heard that the ooma service will not allow hunting which is a minor drawback. I also have a Vodavi Digital Dispatch VM system. If I don't use Vodavi VM system will I get a flashing vm indicator light on our key sets? I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons before I spend $250. Any comments would be appreciated.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

While I sure wouldn't kill the POTS lines for IP to answer your question which I assume you mean get rid of the Vodavi VM and in it's place use phone company VM than that would be yes. The lamp on the LCD screen can be optioned to light on phone company FSK VM signal. I have no idea what type indication you'd get with the IP service. Also you wouldn't know which line has the VM on it as it would light on the signal not the line. If you have a funtioning VM why get rid of it?

If you're going this route I'd order the IP service and try it awhile before having my POTS lines removed, which is another problem if you want to port the numbers.

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
Baby steps. You're right - I thought I would give the VoIp service a try before killing the POTS lines. If it works OK then I'm set. I love the Digital Dispatch but the VoIP vm can be played back over the internet. Since ooma is set up for home single line service I don't think it would light a button for vm on our XTS UNI phones. I have the gold software in the STSe cabinet.

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
The loss of hunting is minor??? I guess you will need TelCo VM since you will get quite a bit of busies otherwise.
However, should you choose to keep the Dispatch VM, you will need to activate silence detect since loop disconnect is a foreign concept to IP TelCos.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Moderator-Mitel, NEC, Vodavi
Moderator-Mitel, NEC, Vodavi
Vonage will hunt. I know users that use it. I do not know if it is included in the basic package.

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,591 Shoretel
189,477 CTX100 install
187,626 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (Andyreed), 150 guests, and 359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024