atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: usererror I got a free Vodavi system to play with - 06/30/10 09:19 AM
Just like the subject, says, and I'm homing I can get some basics out of this.

I was given a free Vodavi system that apparently works right now, I'd like to try to re-do the system to possibly use at home.

Is all the programming done via a serial cable?

Do you have to have special software to get into programming?

Are there any manuals out there to download for how to set one of these up?

Thanks!!

-Mark

Here's pictures of the KSU and the VM unit.

[Linked Image from gallery.etarq.com]

Posted By: EV607797 Re: I got a free Vodavi system to play with - 06/30/10 09:44 AM
Mark:

What you have is either a Mach 1 or a Triad S system and a Talkpath or Dispatch voice mail. If you click on the manuals link at the top of this page, I'm sure you can find them there. They are just two different names for the same systems, but they do use different phones. Did you get phones with it?

If the system is equipped with an optional serial port card, then yes you can program it via serial port #1 using Procomm or HyperTerminal. You can also perform all programming by using a 24 button phone with display connected to the first station port. No special software is required to program the KSU, but there is software required to program the voice mail, referred to as "Admin".
Posted By: Derrick Re: I got a free Vodavi system to play with - 06/30/10 10:49 AM
Manuals are avilable as are user guides and such online. I have some posted on my website.
Great!!! Thanks for the information. I do have a whole slew of phones, though the second phone style pictured I've never seen before. I wonder if they all work with this KSU?

Posted By: EV607797 Re: I got a free Vodavi system to play with - 06/30/10 01:08 PM
The first one will, if you have a Mach 1 KSU. If the KSU has Triad-S software in it, it won't.

As for the second phone, unless the system has really recent software, it won't support it.
Posted By: MnDave Re: I got a free Vodavi system to play with - 06/30/10 04:17 PM
Nice find! If you are sure the phones that you have previously worked on the system, you then have a Mach 1 and then I think the software cartridge inside the KSU must be at least level 4.16 for the 30-button phone to work. Also remember, this system uses proprietary phones and analog single line devices require an SLT adapter or SLT board to work. Caller ID was not supported without an external unit and also required the optional RS232 interface board.

If you can connect either phone into the 1st station port using the white/blue pair on the connector labeled Sta 100-107 and it comes up showing STA 100, you are good to go.
Originally posted by usererror:
Just like the subject, says...
Great score! PM Sent.
Thanks everyone for the responses.

The KSU does indeed have the RS232 adaptor cards in the unit.

I am 99% certain that all of this came out of the same working office, but I will verify with the person who removed it as soon as I can. They were recently deployed to the Gulf to help with...you know what...

I am going to be bringing home all the equipment this weekend, but probably won't get a chance to fire it up until sometime the following week. Man, I am excited to dabble in this, but wish I had gotten it 3 weeks ago!
I forgot to ask, once the unit is powered ON, does the RS232 port use the "defaults" for Port Speed, Flow Control, Error Correction, etc?

I am familiar with Cisco Catalyst Switches and their Console ports, so I am hoping they are similar.
Posted By: MnDave Re: I got a free Vodavi system to play with - 06/30/10 09:14 PM
The default is 9600/N/8/1 but you can verify the baud rate via Flash 15.
Hey everyone,

I have the system at home now. And have it on the floor in my basement powered up. I took one of the 18 button phones and had it hooked up to STA 100's pair. It would not power up. On all the other pairs, i.e 101, 102, etc.

One of the 30 button phones (the 2nd one pictured in the post futher above this one) works on STA 100!

I connected my serial cable to RS232-1 to my laptop and with Tera Term, but I am not getting anything on the screen. My settings are as follows:

Baud: 9600
Data: 8 bit
Parity: None
Stop: 1 bit
Flow Control: None

Are those correct?

And I'm drawing a blank on what button you push for "Flash" to get into the system via STA 100 to find version info, etc. I pressed Flash, and then 1, 5, but I must not be doing the sequence properly.

Thanks!
Posted By: justbill Re: I got a free Vodavi system to play with - 07/17/10 08:50 PM
For system and version just dial 605 with receiver on hook. I'm pretty sure that applies to what your showing too.

As far as programming goes, use a display phone connected to station 100.

EDIT: Once you find what system you have get a manual or you won't get anywhere.
I got in, finally. I found the manuals for a DVX1 system. But its awful, its a scanned paper to PDF manual so I cant search it.

Here's what I'm dealing with:

ENG V4.11 P07-2FE2 8 Infinite Basic

It would probably be worthwhile for me to reset the system to factory defaults using the Flash 80 code.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: I got a free Vodavi system to play with - 07/18/10 08:14 AM
You don't have a DVX1, you have a Mach 1. They are entirely different systems from top to bottom. Although the programming procedures are somewhat similar, you really need to get a Mach 1 or Triad S manual.

Using flash 80 is a good way to default it, but you really should use the database switch on the processor section of the mother board.
Posted By: MnDave Re: I got a free Vodavi system to play with - 07/19/10 09:03 AM
There is a feature called "Station Lock" to prevent the loss of station programming that results when a different station type is plugged into a port already designated as another station type. You can turn this lock off in the data base or just default the system via the database switch.
Thanks Dave, I remember that now from something you or one of the other folks helped me with a while back.

I printed out the Flash programming options and will read them over when I can.

It's not clear yet, about using Flash 80 to do a factory reset vs something with the database initialization.
Posted By: MnDave Re: I got a free Vodavi system to play with - 07/19/10 07:52 PM
Flash 80 is actually designed for use when just part of the database needs to be addressed. The dip switch hardware method is advised when the entire system needs it.

I'm actually a little anal though when it comes to reinitializing a system. I start with the dip switch method and then follow it up with the flash 80 method. A little redundant perhaps, but years ago, someone in tech support suggested that to me to clear out a problem and I have done it that way ever since.
I'll look for that in the manuals I have then. When you say "reinitialize the database" you're really just resetting the entire system to factory defaults?
Posted By: MnDave Re: I got a free Vodavi system to play with - 07/20/10 08:28 AM
Yes. That is all that it means. Nothing more. Good luck!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help