atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: 5years&counting SPD 4896 system locking up - 06/07/11 07:13 PM
Vodavi Starplus Digital 4896 has locked up twice in the last 2 weeks. When it happens, the phones go online then offline repeatedly, and the system is generally sluggish. In both cases this was corrected with a power-cycle. Input power tests ok, and the system is on a new UPS. When we replaced the UPS a couple months ago the power problem caused by the failed UPS ended up taking out an analog station card. I'm thinking it's a failing power supply or CPU, but wanted to get some more system-specific experienced answers. It could also be that more was damaged by the previous UPS than I realized. Thanks!

Justin
Posted By: EV607797 Re: SPD 4896 system locking up - 06/08/11 06:45 AM
Check the 5 and 12 volt outputs. This actually sounds like more of an issue with the memory battery on the CPB failing. I'd get a backup of the database now while you still can.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: SPD 4896 system locking up - 06/08/11 06:58 AM
Do the 5 or 12 volt outputs charge the memory battery? If the system is recovering after a power-cycle, how would the mem battery be affecting live operation?

Justin
Posted By: Derrick Re: SPD 4896 system locking up - 06/08/11 07:06 AM
It's old. I bet something is deterioating on just about every card. The power off discharges a bunch of caps and after the power is turned on and they warm up they start acting up again.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: SPD 4896 system locking up - 06/08/11 07:14 AM
I've tried using the "it's old" argument. So far all it's gotten me is little sympathy.

Justin
Posted By: MnDave Re: SPD 4896 system locking up - 06/08/11 08:18 AM
If you don't have immediate backup parts, try disconnecting a card or two to lighten the load on the system. If that helps, it points to the power. but as Derrick said, other cards may be failing too. If the customer is determined to extend the life of this system, install a new memory battery and mark up any other parts to cover yourself for callbacks. The 4896 was discontinued 11 years ago and any part you find will be old.
Posted By: Derrick Re: SPD 4896 system locking up - 06/08/11 12:21 PM
I know that SIBs, serial interface modules, can casuse this kind of thing as well.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: SPD 4896 system locking up - 06/10/11 04:58 PM
Is it normal to have to reset the clock following a power-cycle?

Justin
Posted By: Derrick Re: SPD 4896 system locking up - 06/10/11 05:04 PM
Your memory battery may be going bad if you have to reset the clock. It isn't totally discharged or you would lose everything.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: SPD 4896 system locking up - 06/13/11 06:36 PM
Does anyone have a documented test procedure for verifying in-spec voltages from the power supplies? Based on the Installation manual, it looks like you're supposed to rely only on the LEDs, but I have a feeling the test point specs are documented somewhere. Also, if you have the test procedure, do you have the allowed voltage variance?
Posted By: Derrick Re: SPD 4896 system locking up - 06/13/11 08:29 PM
I can't remember if the 4896 has any test points on the power supply but I can tell you the 5 volts either positive or negative can cause this if either one is off by 5% or more either direction.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: SPD 4896 system locking up - 06/16/11 09:11 PM
Changed out the analog station card, but there were still problems. Replaced the left side power supply and problems seemed to go away. We'll be keeping a close eye for the next few days to make sure the problems are truly resolved.

Justin
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help