web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#220122 06/07/11 03:13 PM
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
OP Offline
Vodavi Starplus Digital 4896 has locked up twice in the last 2 weeks. When it happens, the phones go online then offline repeatedly, and the system is generally sluggish. In both cases this was corrected with a power-cycle. Input power tests ok, and the system is on a new UPS. When we replaced the UPS a couple months ago the power problem caused by the failed UPS ended up taking out an analog station card. I'm thinking it's a failing power supply or CPU, but wanted to get some more system-specific experienced answers. It could also be that more was damaged by the previous UPS than I realized. Thanks!

Justin

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Check the 5 and 12 volt outputs. This actually sounds like more of an issue with the memory battery on the CPB failing. I'd get a backup of the database now while you still can.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Do the 5 or 12 volt outputs charge the memory battery? If the system is recovering after a power-cycle, how would the mem battery be affecting live operation?

Justin

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
It's old. I bet something is deterioating on just about every card. The power off discharges a bunch of caps and after the power is turned on and they warm up they start acting up again.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
OP Offline
I've tried using the "it's old" argument. So far all it's gotten me is little sympathy.

Justin

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
If you don't have immediate backup parts, try disconnecting a card or two to lighten the load on the system. If that helps, it points to the power. but as Derrick said, other cards may be failing too. If the customer is determined to extend the life of this system, install a new memory battery and mark up any other parts to cover yourself for callbacks. The 4896 was discontinued 11 years ago and any part you find will be old.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
I know that SIBs, serial interface modules, can casuse this kind of thing as well.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

OP Offline
Is it normal to have to reset the clock following a power-cycle?

Justin

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Your memory battery may be going bad if you have to reset the clock. It isn't totally discharged or you would lose everything.

www.myrandomviews

OP Offline
Does anyone have a documented test procedure for verifying in-spec voltages from the power supplies? Based on the Installation manual, it looks like you're supposed to rely only on the LEDs, but I have a feeling the test point specs are documented somewhere. Also, if you have the test procedure, do you have the allowed voltage variance?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 122 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024