atcomsystems.ca/forum
I'm not a Vodavi guy, so please bear with me...

Client has a Vodavi phone system (I'm certain of that) and would like the AA to answer on the 4th ~ 6th ring. Currently it answers on 3 rings and that isn't always enough time to get to the caller.

I didn't get a close look at the system itself, but it is a beige box, about 18 x 12 x 12. The phones indicate "Starplus STS".

Thanks in advance. :toast:
There are all kinds of forwarding timers in the system. This could be a line preset timer if more than one phone rings first or a station timer if only one phone rings.
Hmmm...where to start looking/confirming?

I have a manual titled "Starplus STS Key Systems, Systems Programming and Operations Manual". There is a section on Programming the Voicemail System.
I guess a better question would be: Is the CFNA/timers setting in the phone system programming or the voicemail programming?

I notice in the manual there is a null-modem port which allows programming via laptop. Is that easier than through a set?
It is done through system programming, not voice-mail programming. Programming through the phone is easier. Look under Flash 40, CO Line ...
Originally posted by nfcphoneman:
It is done through system programming, not voice-mail programming. Programming through the phone is easier. Look under Flash 40, CO Line ...
I'm reading that section as we speak, but still don't see where to set the delay for answer...?

CO Line Incoming Ringing Assignments:
Flash rate
Display ring assignments
Release timer
Reseize timer
Guard timer
Seize timer

:confused:

I'm also looking at the Flash 40 table(s) and don't see anything describing ring/answer delay.
OK, just nod if I'm getting warm:

Preset Forward Timer?
nod
Great! What threw me off is the reference to "seconds" vs number of rings. So...just how many seconds is 4 - 6 rings?
I'd start with 20 seconds, that works out to about 4 or 5 rings of the phone. The audible the calling party hears is about 6 seconds per ring. Phone systems are all different, but I have my home system set for 5 rings (CO audible) and it's set at 20 seconds.
Keep in mind that CO ring is 6 seconds but system ring is usually 4. The system timer begins when the valid ring detect starts. For example, if you set the CO preset forward delay to 24 seconds, the outside caller will hear about 4 rings and the inside user will hear about 6. Then if you are using a 6 second delay due to caller id, the preset timer begins 6 seconds later causing the outside caller to hear one full ring before the system starts.
Client is mostly concerned about getting to the phone in time to answer it. Right now, the phone rings 3 times. Client would like that bumped-up to 4 ~ 6 rings (on their side. Not concerned about how many rings the caller hears).
Posted By: Ray01 Re: Increasing ring time before AA answers...? - 06/16/11 08:24 PM
I use a 4 second caller id delay with a preset of 22 seconds at the most. That usually is whats average
Well...I went to the site today to make the adjustment and...the default password has apparently been changed (their Vodavi vendor disappeared a long time ago. No way to contact them).

Is defaulting the password covered in the programming manual?
Sort of...you have to default the system.
Aww crud. Don't tell me that.

It appears I can back-up the database to a PC first...?
If you have the password.
If you have the password.
Fudge...
OK, one more question, then I'll stop buggin' y'all:

The system label indicates Model 3501-01, Iss: 1, Rev.: 1.6

Is the manual I'm using (StarPlus STS Key Systems) the correct manual for this system?
The 3501 is the STSe. 3500 is the STS. However, most of the programming is the same. The STSe may have a few more features.
I'm wondering if the manual I have lists the incorrect default programming password/function for the system I'm working on... :shrug:
No, they're the same.
If all the phones have correct button labels, you may not need much more information than knowing what phones need to ring and if all phones get VM. Then just set the appropriate timers and check the 440 VM group and 450 hunt group for initial ring if multiple phones are to ring. There is more but, this is the primary stuff to get them back up and running.
Originally posted by MNDAVE:
If all the phones have correct button labels, you may not need much more information than knowing what phones need to ring and if all phones get VM. Then just set the appropriate timers and check the 440 VM group and 450 hunt group for initial ring if multiple phones are to ring. There is more but, this is the primary stuff to get them back up and running.
Wouldn't I need to access programming for that? Or are you saying it wouldn't be a big deal to default/re-program the entire system?

As Clint Eastwood said "A man's gotta know his limitations." and I'm not about to "learn" Vodavi programming for a single client who's already crying poverty.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help